Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Sudden change in breast

Default Sudden change in breast

This may be in my head but my left breast feels different now. I just started A couple days ago where it feels fuller even after feeds. I'm pretty sure I had a clogged duct due to the small localized painful lump I felt but I just tried nursing/ pumping as much as I could until the pain lump went away. However, it still feels constantly fuller and never seems to feel empty (soft as it used too). Her nursing behavior has also changed. She's much fussier at the breast and has been pulling off/on to thd point where I cringe now to nurse on that side. Anybody offer any sort of explanation?

Default Re: Sudden change in breast

it is possible you were nursing pumping so much on that breast for a few days that is is making more than normal. supply and demand.

just keep an eye on it for plugged ducts. if she is nursing well overall i would not worry.

It may feel fuller cause of the pumping and nursing to relieve the the clogged duct. Has the duct cleared itself yet? Your baby may cringe or fuss because that breast is fuller and has a more forceful letdown than normal cause of the increase of supply. I wouldn't quit offering that breast to her, but I had overactive letdown, due to oversupply. You can work it all back out by when feeding off that breast and letdown occurs, if baby gags, or un latches let the milk drip/ or squeeze small amount into a cloth/diaper/ or cup, then reattach the baby. The milk supply will work itself back to normal supply and demand in a few days, and should be back to normal!

I'm pretty sure the clog Is gone but the funny thing is is that it doesn't seem like the flow is any faster/stronger etc. it almost appears as if it has slowed right down!? Is it possible to have a blocked duct and not feel it? She really is pulling my poor nipple till it is so painful and tender.