Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: what to take for head cold?

Default what to take for head cold?

My head is so congested, it's been pounding. I might go to the doctor's next week if I'm not better by then. I'd rather not take anything that could affect my supply, so I have not taken any benadryl or anything like that. I've searched the forums and read some previous links to kellymom, so have been drinking tea and taking hot baths. What can I do to beat this cold? Ibuprofin only helps a little, or temporarily, and then the congestion feels almost like a migraine. I think I've been stressed lately, and that's why I'm getting sick. What do you fabulous ladies do to feel better when under the weather?

Default Re: what to take for head cold?

Our pedi said I could take Allegra and that wouldn't affect supply. I drink lots of ginger tea and use a humidifier with eucalyptus oil in it at night and that really saved me from getting a sore throat from all the mouth breathing I was doing. Garlic, lots of it. Time and as much rest as you can get. Good luck. Hope you feel better soon!

I always take vitamin c and echinacea several times a day when I'm sick. I took it while nursing, no supply issues for me!

Songbirdma & carm3, thanks for the good tips. I will definitely try a few, if not all of those remedies. Thanks again!!

While I was preggo, I was horribly sick. The pharmacist said I could take a nasal spray (no more than once every 12 hours). I have also taken it the odd time now while breast feeding. Typically at night time. It helps to take the edge off so that I can sleep.

Try going to your pharmacist and asking what they can give you. I've found them to be very supportive of breast feeding and happy to look things up that are safe. I hope you're feeling better soon.
    Mommy to our DD1 early bird (34 weeks, 2 days, 7lbs, 14oz)! Oct. 2nd, 2008 Emergency C-Section, Frank Breech, HEALTHY Girl!
    Weaned @ 17 months
    Our DD2 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 12oz) Aug. 10th, 2010 Our Successful VBAC, growing like a bad weed!
    Weaned @ 15 months
    Our DD3 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 6oz) Feb. 16th, 2012 Our 2nd VBAC and lightening speedy birth!

Loving being a Mom of 3, 40 months apart!!
    and