Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Please help! 3 mos old wont eat from the boob

Default Please help! 3 mos old wont eat from the boob

I've had breastfeeding issues since birth. My baby is a bad sucker with low weight gain so I supplement expressed milk or formula. She hates the left boob. And now, she is refusing both boobs which is weird. I think she is going through a growth spurt. And btw, she will take the bottle.

I'm really frustrated...been frustrated since day 1. I personally don't enjoy breastfeeding as I should. I'm on the verge of giving up and doing expressed milk/bottle. I should enjoy these times and I think of how "hard" it is versus how much "fun" I'm having.

Ideally, I want to offer breast milk. But my sanity is more important and it just feels that this breastfeeding thing will never get better.

Btw, I am a SAHM with a 3 year old.

Please tell me there is hope...

Default Re: Please help! 3 mos old wont eat from the boob

Welcome to the forum!

Just noticed your post has been overlooked for a couple of days - sorry about that! In the future, if you don't get a reply, post a reply saying "bump" and that will put your thread back to the top of the new posts list.

It would be helpful if you can give some more information. What do you mean by saying baby is a "bad sucker?" Have you seen a lactation consultant? How many times per day are you nursing? How many times a day are you pumping? How many bottles a day? How many bottles are formula versus expressed milk? Has baby's weight again improved? How many wet and dirty diapers?

With regards to your statement that you're frustrated, that you should enjoy these times, that it's hard and not fun: I think most breastfeeding mamas would agree that the hardest time is at the beginning, especially if you've had some obstacles to breastfeeding, as it sounds like you have. But if you can work through this it more than pays off in the long run. And if you can get baby to the breast, rather than doing it all with pumping, it's going to be much easier for you in the long run. Here's some information from kelly mom about getting baby back to the breast:
    http://kellymom.com/bf/concerns/child/back-to-breast/

Yes, there is hope, and yes, breastfeeding will get better. Let us help you stick with it!
    Last edited by @llli*bfwmomof3; December 7th, 2012 at 03:01 PM. Reason: fix url

Default Re: Please help! 3 mos old wont eat from the boob

It sounds like you've had an especially stressful experience so far, amsters888. I'm sorry to hear it.

How are things going now? Please check in if you get a chance.
    Karen
    Forums Admin

Find an LLL Leader or Meeting | Get one-on-one help from a Leader online | Become a Member of LLLI

Feel like you need professional help? ¿Es usted necesita ayuda profesional? --> Find an International Board Certified Lactation Consultant (IBCLC) <--