Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Is oral diflucan for mom enough to treat baby too?

Default Is oral diflucan for mom enough to treat baby too?

I finally got in to see my doc yesterday about the pain issues we've been having. He seemed a bit clueless about making a diagnosis of thrush vs Raynaud's, but agreed that my nipples did look a little red with some damage. He agreed to give me a 7 day oral course of diflucan, and also prescribed nazoril and hydrocortisone cream for the nipple damage. LO doesn't have any obvious symptoms of thrush, so he didn't prescribe anything for her. The last time we tried to treat the thrush, the NP prescribed nystatin for her, which I only used for a few doses before switching to swabbing her mouth with diluted GSE. I'm currently giving her baby probiotics every day as well. Long story short, will the diflucan that passes through my milk be enough to kill any yeast living in the baby's mouth, or should I start the whole GSE thing again? And does anyone have experience with Nazoril for this purpose? I've never come across it as a thrush on nipples treatment...

TIA!

Default Re: Is oral diflucan for mom enough to treat baby too?

Hi carm3, no, the diflucan for you is not enough to treat baby as well. I don't know anything about Nazoril, hopefully someone else does!

My understanding is that mom and baby need to be treated simultaneously.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Thanks ladies! I had a feeling it wasn't enough, but was hoping it would be! poor LO hates the GSE!