Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Latching Issues

Unhappy Latching Issues

Our newest addition was born on 12/6/12. This is my 3rd child. I was able to breastfeed with no problems with our 2nd child that is now 14 months old for over 4 months. I breastfed our newborn in the hospital, but only a couple of times. The first was right after delivery. They took his sugar level and it was low. He was 9 lbs. 10 oz. at birth. Since his sugar level was low they needed to give him some sugar water. He nursed a couple times after but had troubles latching on. After a bit he was able to latch on each time. Since we have have been home he is not latching on hardly at all. I have tried all the postions the books and websites have suggested. He gets really upset and worked up. After him going six hours without nursing I gave him a formula feeding. He had no problems drinking from the bottle. The bottle has much smaller nipple than my breast nipples. How can I tell if my nipples are to big for him? Have I caused nipple confusion by giving him the supplement. I have begun to pump so that he can still get my milk (colustrum) but I really want to be able to breastfeed him.

Default Re: Latching Issues

Welcome to the forum and congratulations on the new baby!

Here's a good resource for gerting a baby back to the breast: http://kellymom.com/bf/concerns/child/back-to-breast/. The skin-to-skin and instant reward techniques are said to be especially helpful. I would also make certain to see a lactation consultant, preferably an IBCLC, for hands-on help. You might want to discuss using a nipple shield- they can be useful tools for getting a baby who has become used to a bottle to take the breast.

2 things that can help a baby who gets too frantic to feed:
    - Try to nurse him before he's really hungry. Babies who are really hungry often start screaming and head-bobbing and opening and closing their mouths, making it much more difficult to latch.
    - When baby is frractic, offer him a pinky finger to suck, with nail held down towards his tongue. A few seconds of sucking on a pinky can be enough to remind baby that sucking and latching are the keys to getting his hunger problem fixed.

It's excellent that you're pumping. When baby isn't latching, it's vital that you pump in order to bring your milk in. What sort of machine are you using, and how often are you using it?
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Paula,
    You are an experienced breastfeeding mother. A baby who won't latch is a baby who can't latch. It is not in your infants best interest to allow 6 hours to pass without a feeding. Your infant and you could benefit from a Lactation consultant visit. Your baby needs to be fed every 2 hours around the clock. But you know that already.
    DD#1 July 1986 VB
    DD#2 April 1988 c/sec
    DS#3 April 1990 VBAC
    DS#4 June 1993 VB
    and suprise!
    DD#5 April 2001 c/sec
    BTDT scars and stretchmarks,: wrinkles and grey hair

It is a Bailey Nuture III pump. I have been pumping every two hours to try to make sure my milk supply stays up and comes in.

Red face Re: Latching Issues

Thank you for the help and support. I purchased a nipple shield and breastfeeding is now a success! Your advice and suggestions were a huge help. I will definitely be recommending this site to all my friends and family.

That's wonderful news! Well done, mom!

Since you're using the shield, I suggest reviewing this link: http://kellymom.com/bf/concerns/child/wean-shield/
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"