Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Does this sound like oversupply/forceful letdown?

Default Does this sound like oversupply/forceful letdown?

DS2 is just shy of 4 weeks old. Nursing has been going so well, and I was so pleasantly surprised after having a lackluster nursing relationship with DS1 that barely lasted 3 months.

Up until just recently, he was having 25-45 minute nursing sessions. He would usually nurse both sides, but sometimes only 1, and would often fall asleep while nursing. He seemed content, and his poops were yellow and often.

In the past few days, every nursing session is a battle. It seems like he is having the same troubles that plagued my older son when we were nursing. He latches on, nurses well for a few minutes, then starts bobbing off and on, crying, grunting, just unhappy. His poops are still often, but are now completely almost neon green. I can hear him gulping when eating, and I do sometimes hear a clicking sound while he is eating.

I want to try block feeding, but there are 2 things making me think this may not be a oversupply/forceful letdown issue:

1) I have not had much engorgement and have experienced almost zero spraying during or between feeds. Yes, my breasts get full if he doesn't feed off that side for a while, but that's about it.

2) When he initially latches on, he eats well for a couple minutes. I am sure my milk has already let down at that point, because I can hear him getting a lot of milk. Wouldn't he get upset at the first let down if forceful letdown was the issue? I thought he may be getting upset when the milk slows, and he has to start working for it, but that doesn't seem to be the issue.

He was born big and has gained well so far. But It is really hard for me to nurse when he is so upset. I have tried nursing so he is above the breast but it doesn't help. I just don't want to try block feeding a the risk of lowering my supply if oversupply is not the issue. Bottles are so temptiing to me right now, because I have an active toddler who has no patience for a drawn out screaming nursing session. I'm really trying to hold off, but I'm not sure how much longer I can go in the current situtation.

Default Re: Does this sound like oversupply/forceful letdown?

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*momofboys526 View Post
    2) When he initially latches on, he eats well for a couple minutes. I am sure my milk has already let down at that point, because I can hear him getting a lot of milk. Wouldn't he get upset at the first let down if forceful letdown was the issue? I thought he may be getting upset when the milk slows, and he has to start working for it, but that doesn't seem to be the issue.
    I'm not sure why you ruled out baby being upset at a slowed flow? That's a really common explanation for fussiness that occurs several minutes into the feeding.

If frustration with a slow flow is the explanation for the fussiness, then the best thing you can do is to power through it. Don't succumb to bottles, and don't try to change the flow speed. Just let the baby nurse and figure out for himself how to get his preferred flow speed.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I thought it seemed unlikely, because I feel like I can hear him take a gulp and then un-latch and cry. But I just feel so unsure about what is going on.

But what about the green poop?

Also, is it really bad to try block feeding for 1 or 2 days and see what happens? I don't want to hurt my supply too much...

Because there are other explanations for green poop besides oversupply- things like gastrointestinal bugs and allergies are the first things that spring to mind- I don't like to encourage people to block feed unless they are pretty sure they have oversupply. It is possible to go too far, and even 1-2 days of block feeding can sometimes land a mom in a worse situation than the one she was trying to escape. I'm not saying that you shouldn't block feed- just that you want to be really careful with it.

Are you letting baby "finish the first breast first"? When a mom has mild oversupply, sometimes that is all that is required to get the poops to turn yellow.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"

I have been trying to let him finish one side before going to the other. The problem is, the fussiness is so bad right now, that I don't have any way to judge what he's eating. I've just been trying to keep putting him back on the same side until I can't do any more and then i either switch sides or put him down. I have tried switching sides every time he gets really fussy, but that could be making the problem worse. So where is the balance between block feeding, and switching sides during feeds - especially when baby is too fussy to give you any cues that they are done nursing?

He used to get slepy and content when done eating, btu that is not happening anymore.

The sort of fussiness you describe really makes me think that something other than nursing is bothering the baby. Ear infections spring immediately to mind. Or colic. When I first looked at this thread I misread and thought that your baby was 4 months old, but I re-read and I realized that he's just 4 weeks old. And that is prime-time for colic. Does the fussiness intensify in the later afternoon/evening?

I'm not sure. The more I think about it, it seems like it might be about him getting upset when the letdown slows down. How do I go about this - once the letdown slows, he really refuses to latch. All I can do i switch him to the other side, at which point he'll drink for a couple minutes till the milk slows and then repeat. He's not really getting full this way, and I don't know if he's spending enough time on the breast to get to the fatty milk.

I don't think it's colic or a physical issue, because he is generally happy and sleeps well between feeds (ETA: if it was a somewhat good feed) as long as he's not overtired. Although he is getting over a small cold I think, so who knows. But how do I push through this? I can't force him to latch on--if he did he would learn to suck more to get another let down. But I don't wantto keep switching sides during feeds, cause I feel like that is a band aid solution, and he will never learn how to get the milk the way he wants it...I also feel like the problem is getting worse, and he is sometimes refusing to even suck at all.
    Last edited by @llli*momofboys526; December 10th, 2012 at 04:21 PM.

I agree with mommal thios may not be overproduction at all, but if it is, there are ways to appraoch it that do not involve block feeding.
    I have had overproduction with my babies and never block fed-too much work, since my babies have handled the flow pretty well if I do three things..

nurse really frequently, let baby nurse one side at a time UNLESS baby wants both sides (I personally think of block feeding as baby taking one side through 2 or more feedings) and nurse in a reclined position.