Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: First PPAF & Supply issues...

Default First PPAF & Supply issues...

ok so i think i may have figured out possibly why my supply is down and ive been having issues past 5 days[baby has been refusing breast at times and let down was taking alot longer than usual, breasts werent leaking at all, etc].....I started my PERIOD this morning!!!! Everything makes much more sense now....since all started going downhill last wedneday.

does anyone else notice a drastic change when your period comes? does it rebound after? is it worse with your first PPAF? or should i expect it to stay down now, or does it come back and go back down every month? thanks!!

eta: guess i should note my DD is 4 months old.

Default Re: First PPAF & Supply issues...

im going through exactly the same thing right now! baby is also 4 months. just started my period yesterday. in the mornings i used to be able to pump anywhere from 10-12 ounces. for the last three days i just get to pump out just about 7 ounces! that is pretty drastic for me.i heard milk supply goes back up sometime after the period. just dont know if it is as much as before. im still keeping my fingers crossed hopefully milk is as much as pre AF.

I didnt get my period until much later, but I did notice that my supply dropped. My breasts never feel full anymore and I rarely feel let down. I know she is still getting plenty, but I did notice a big change. I was pumping a huge amount like that as well and within a matter of weeks I was barely able to get an ounce or 2 from each breast.

I definitely have a drop -- but it occurs at different times. Sometimes it's when I'm ovulating, sometimes it's right before my period and sometimes it's during. It tends to last a few days, but now that I'm cutting back on pumping it's a little unnerving! I normally can get 2-3 oz. per pumping session (2x) a day, which covers the little bit of milk I leave for my LO. But the past few days, for example, I am getting maybe 1-1.5 oz. per session. I'd say it lasts 3-5 days, on average.
    Mom to my sweet little "Pooper," born 10/12/11, and "Baby Brother," born 6/23/2014, and married to heavy metal husband. Working more than full-time, making healthy vegetarian meals for family, and trying to keep up with exercise routine.

bump for more replies!

Are you working outside the home, or staying home with the baby? The reason I ask is that SAHM can usually simply feed on demand and expect the baby's intensified demand to cause their supply to bounce right back up after their period. Moms who are working outside the home and relying on the pump sometimes have a little more trouble: if they want to get their supply to bounce back, they often need to use the pump to mimic the sort of increased demand a baby will give during a supply dip. That can mean adding pump sessions during the workday or even after nursing when the workday is over.

Either way, don't expect to leak in the long term. Most moms reach a point at which supply and demand are very closely matched, at which point they no longer leak and rarely if ever feel full or engorged.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommal View Post
    Are you working outside the home, or staying home with the baby? The reason I ask is that SAHM can usually simply feed on demand and expect the baby's intensified demand to cause their supply to bounce right back up after their period. Moms who are working outside the home and relying on the pump sometimes have a little more trouble: if they want to get their supply to bounce back, they often need to use the pump to mimic the sort of increased demand a baby will give during a supply dip. That can mean adding pump sessions during the workday or even after nursing when the workday is over.

Either way, don't expect to leak in the long term. Most moms reach a point at which supply and demand are very closely matched, at which point they no longer leak and rarely if ever feel full or engorged.
    I work. And that only complicates things further and makes it much tricker......I also don't work a normal daytime schedule. I work overnight shifts 7pm to 7am Friday and sat nights so I have to sleep 6hrs straight on sat and also sleep on Sunday when I come I home in the morning for 4hrs. Then I'm off the rest of the week and home with baby to feed on demand until frida again. I do pump overnight at work but sleeping during the day plus my period coming back has been making things super challenging. I breasted my son for 13 months and nothing like this ever happened.....but I did stay home with him the first 6 months.

Recently I've been having to power pump every nit I'm home and not at work, before I go to bed. It's been helping keep my supply up but rather getting tiring ver fast :/