Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Breast feeding & being pregnant.

Default Breast feeding & being pregnant.

Hi, I am wandering about me breast feeding my 2 year old & being pregnant. I just found out that I am 8 weeks pregnant & I still have to nurse my son @ night. It's the only way he'll go to sleep! My nipples are so sore, but I can handle that, I'm just wandering if this can hurt the new baby? I know you can get uteran cramps from nursing & being pregnant, & I do hurt when he nurses, but can this harm my new baby?

Default Re: Breast feeding & being pregnant.

No, nursing while pregnant will not harm the fetus. Your body protects the fetus first and your milk supply second, so your older nursling can't "steal" nutrients from the developing baby. And nursing- especially the very small amount of nursing done by an older toddler- will not induce contractions which are strong enough or long-lasting enough to do any harm.

The only exception to this general rule is for moms who have a history of miscarriage or preterm birth. It is thought that those moms need to wean during pregnancy, but that recommendation seems to be more of a hypothesis than a theory or a fact.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Congrats on the new pregnancy!

Like mommal said, unless you have a history of miscarriage/preterm birth, it shouldn't be a problem.

I'm currently 37 weeks with #2, and my 2 yo DS has nursed through the whole pregnancy. My midwives gave it a thumbs up. You should be fine!
    Breastfeeding, babywearing, sci-fi loving, total geek of a mom!

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind. — Dr. Seuss

Thanks, I worry b/c I do have the uteran cramps after I feed him @ night. It scared me, I didn't know if it could make me lose the baby.

It's possible that you're just starting to feel Braxton Hicks. They usually start around 6 weeks of pregnancy, but most women don't feel them until the second or third trimester. I know I started feeling them around week 10 or so.

But, if you're still concerned, I would suggest you talk with your care provider about it.
    Breastfeeding, babywearing, sci-fi loving, total geek of a mom!

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind. — Dr. Seuss