Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: accumulating

Default accumulating

I am going back to work soon part-time and would appreciate some tips on accumulating a frozen milk supply. When I pump I only get an ounce or two. My baby is 6 weeks old and nurses non-stop.

Default Re: accumulating

One way to do it is to pump after a morning feed, when you have the most milk. If you're getting an ounce or two you're doing well! Lots of moms find they don't get much out of the pump at the beginning. Plus, when you're at work, you'll be pumping instead of a feed, not on top of a feed. Baby needs 1 to 1.5 ounces of milk per hour apart from you. So if you're gone 6 hours that first day you'll need between 6 and 9 ounces of milk. After that, you'll be pumping each day you're working for the next work day. So you don't have to accumulate all that much. Once you have a couple ounces pumped, you can combine and freeze.

with the PP. You want to pump consistently at the same time every day- after the first morning nursing session is ideal- and be patient! Pumping is a learned skill, and it may take some time before you feel like you're really proficient.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Also recommend doing compressions during pumping, and following up with hand expression after. I find I can sometimes get an extra 1-2 oz that way (There's a sticky at the top of this forum on maximizing milk output, with a link to a helpful educational video on that.) Just stick with your pumping schedule, and you might find with a little more time, your supply ramps up a little to match. Also, once you do go back to work, it's possible you might bring home more milk than baby eats (I do, at least) so you might find yourself freezing some here and there later on too. It's a good idea to freeze in 2-4 oz sizes (not more) to prevent waste. Feel free to PM me if you have any specific questions on working/pumping/freezing etc