Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Pumping at night

Default Pumping at night

If my LO is sleeping longer than 3 hours at night without waking to nurse, should I pump at the time he would normally eat or not? He eats every 3 hours during the day. I don't have engorgement or anything at night like I did before due to my supply finally leveling out. I just don't want to do the wrong thing and then my supply suddenly decrease.

Default Re: Pumping at night

If he's been gaining weight well, then you don't really need to worry about a longer stretch without nursing during the night. That's a normal pattern that your baby and your body will adjust to.

You could try an extra nursing session or two during the day or evening if you want to be on the safe side. He'll let you know whether he needs it or not.
    Karen
    Forums Admin

Find an LLL Leader or Meeting | Get one-on-one help from a Leader online | Become a Member of LLLI

Feel like you need professional help? ¿Es usted necesita ayuda profesional? --> Find an International Board Certified Lactation Consultant (IBCLC) <--

Default Re: Pumping at night

Not sure how old your baby is, but when mine would start sleeping longer at night, they would start eating more often during the day.
    Little SW, Aug '09
    Miss MW, Jan '11
    Sir RW, Oct '12
    3 kids in 38 mos