Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Abrupt Pumping Outpt changes..

Default Abrupt Pumping Outpt changes..

So ive been questioning my suppy past few days as my let downs were taking longer and i didnt feel as full, etc.

Last night I worked and compared my output from last saturday night...just 1 week ago....I work 7p-7a...and pumped twice while at work last night...10pm and 2am...

I pumped almost half as much tonight as I did last saturday.....that's nuts...in just one week....I pumped 5 oz [both breasts] in First pump last week in 10 mins..only 3.5 last night [total both breasts]...in same time ...so I kept pumping for more stimulation...got another letdown n ended up with 5oz total in the end still but took twice as long...pumped for 30 mins...

so basically i was easily getting 5-6 ounces total in each session [from both breasts] last week and now its taking me 30 mins to get that much?

I really dont NEED the milk that I pump as I have a big freezer stash , but I want to keep pumping longer for stimulation...thus i end up getting a bit more.

but, what could be the cause of the abrupt change? thanks so much!

on a more positive note though my let downs are not taking near as long as few days ago..yaY!

Default Re: Abrupt Pumping Outpt changes..

Have you replaced the membranes recently? They need to be replaced every three months or so. The last time I noticed a change in pump output, I put in new membranes and it fixed the problem

I thought you were going to start pumping 3 times at worK?

Way too lazy for formula

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*djs.mom View Post
    I thought you were going to start pumping 3 times at worK?
    i was...but i pumped at 2am and wasnt sure if DD was going to wake before I got home sunday morning, [in which case I would have pumped again]......but she didnt, and i didnt want her to not have enough since she is used to my breasts being fuller in the mornings, and she is home with DH on sunday mornings when I get home so I just fed her.

oh yea and I started my AF this morning...which probably explains alot and is likely the issue, right>?

Yes. But it's a circle. Your period comes back because your nurse less. I am surprised yours took this long based on how long you are going at night. And then once it's back yes, you see a dip in supply when it arrives. Your period can actually be nursed away. And for a lot of women it goes away again around 6 months when night wakings increase due to teething. In any case, yes the dip could be related to your period. But the answer is STILL to nurse or pump more. You will never NOT have milk to feed your child because you pump. The MORE you empty your breasts the MORE milk you make. The longer you go between feeds, the fuller you lets your breasts get, that signals your body to SLOW down production.

Way too lazy for formula