Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Nursing toddler in public in US

Default Re: Nursing toddler in public in US

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*manitobamommy View Post

I wouldn't assume that someone who is averting their eyes is offended, either. I used to do that before I had kids (and I came from a lactivist family, so should have known better). I thought I was being polite by giving them privacy.
    I second this. It's not always about being offended or embarrassed -- if you look like you don't want anyone to notice you, people often WILL avert their eyes to give you that sense of privacy your body language seems to be asking of them.
    DSD (15), DSS (12), DS1 (10), DD1 (8), DS2 (2), and a new little bean on the way in May 2013.

I've been surprised by the lack of concern with nursing ds in public. People routinely assume he's 2 years (and have since 12 mo) but I've never gotten any rude comments. I have had several people ask if it hurts with his teeth which I find really amusing.
    Last edited by @llli*zaynethepain; December 12th, 2012 at 02:33 PM. Reason: Typos

I live in the midwest. With my son I was always more cautious. Maybe more for my modesty? In South Dakota where I was, I actually had people at times come over to pull the blanket off to see the baby.. um..?? HAHA!

I am in Iowa now, not a huge jump, but it was a small town, now I am in a bigger city, or big compared to where I was (nothing like New York though!). I nurse in public when ever the need arrises, I cove myself best I can, but my daughter would have no part in a blanket over her, so covering best I can usually means wearing two shirts, I have a little of thin tanks I wear under my regular shirts, and I pull the top shirt up, the bottom shirt down and my boob comes out right in the middle, I pull the top shirt down just as far as my daughter will allow.

I am not sure if anyone is offended or not, and personally I dont care, I am feeding my daughter and I am not going to go sit in some icky public bathroom for privacy. I certainly havent had anyone say anything negative to me about it. Sometimes I get smiles and nods, usually older women. Guys tend to either be completely oblivious, or as soon as they notice they look the other way like they didnt notice.

I had to laugh about the whole victoria secret thing though a few years back, because just before they announced that, I was actually at VS and one of the workers could see me wresting my shirt and bra strap from my son (he was about 14-15 months old) and telling him he had to wait until I was done paying. When I get up to the register she says "I can let you in the big dressing room if you need some privacy to nurse him."

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*shelby.newman View Post
    I second this. It's not always about being offended or embarrassed -- if you look like you don't want anyone to notice you, people often WILL avert their eyes to give you that sense of privacy your body language seems to be asking of them.
    Totally agree! I was in my teens, I guess at that time it never occurred to me that milk came from breasts. I guess it should have clicked and made sense, but I was the oldest of 11 siblings and I was also the oldest of my 30something cousins. Not one of them was ever breast feed, they were born and given bottles. So I was at a restaurant and there was a lady standing up in the entry to a hallway that led to where the bathrooms were, right in the middle of where the tables were. She had her shirt pulled down and her boob hanging out and a baby latched on, and I just sat and stared, I couldnt look away until my mom said my name and I turned to see what she wanted. LOL I think I was more amazed at the idea that a baby could nurse than that she was doing it so openly like that. Who knows maybe that was what made me want to nurse? Because I am still the only one in my family who has ever nursed

But usually if I see a woman nursing in public I nod, smile and look away, although the mom above ^^ was the only one I have ever seen nursing in public who had no modesty at all, most moms try to cover up somewhat or turn away or something to conceal them selves a little. I am not offended, I just feel like they have a need for a little privacy and I am not going to sit and stare waiting for their baby to suddenly grab their shirt and flip it up... you can see mine does this quite often!

I am from Louisiana and still breastfeeding my 15 month old son

Louisiana law states that a person may breastfeed their child in any public place. This means any place that the mother is allowed to be present the mother is legally allowed to breastfeed. I do breastfeed in public but I do so as discreetly as possible, because that is just my personal preference and what makes me comfortable. I have breastfed in malls, WalMart, theme parks, and many restaurants without a problem. I normally ask for a back corner table in restaurants so I may be comfortable and I have never had a problem with it. Also, the area of Louisiana you will be moving to will determine how others view breastfeeding. Currently there is alot of support in Lafayette, Lake Charles, and many other rural communities in the Southwestern part of the state.

The Louisiana law has been misinterpreted by many here to include only public businesses. However, the law does mean any public place where you are allowed to be. I have mailed my District Attorney to correct his response to this in one of our local newspapers and received a reply apologizing for his misinterpretation of the law and I was indeed right!

I hope this helps and who cares what anyone thinks. Just know that the law will protect you in our state of Louisiana!

Thank you everyone for your advice and support. It's good to know that Louisiana law is on the side of nursing mothers and babies. It does say "babies" though...- I hope there wouldn't be an age limit to the law....

Even if there were an age limit to the law- which is unlikely; the vagueness is probably intentional- it's really unlikely that anyone would try to call you on it. Someone would have to be so terribly upset at seeing you nurse an older baby that they would be unable to simply ignore you and walk on, and then they'd face the challenge of finding some sort of authority figure who wouldn't simply laugh them out of the room, or demand to know how the upset person knows your baby is technically not a baby, and then that authority figure would have to look at the law and decide that "baby" only applies to a certain age group, and then they'd have to ask you to stop nursing- oh, wait, you probably stopped nursing 2 hours ago and went about your business, so first they'd have to find you and THEN ask you...

Don't worry about it, mama. Just enjoy yourself, share the good news about toucans, nurse your baby.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Feed your baby as nature intended. If anyone has a problem with that, point them towards the nearest McDonalds, and let them start harassing toddlers eating Happy Meals with soda! Who cares what " they " think. They are idiots who know nothing. You are a mother who loves your child, and wants to do what is best for them. Plus, it's really hard to tell your nursing, unless you completely remove your breast from your shirt.

Hi just wanted to update here. We had a lovely time in Louisiana and we nursed in lots of places including restaurants, university, parks, playground, Walmart aisle, zoo, swamp tour, etc. Nobody blinked an eye. I did not have special nursing clothes and I think it's pretty obvious when I am nursing; however, I sometimes overheard parents telling their kids "shh. the baby is sleeping", making me think maybe people just see what they expect to see and they assumed my 26 lb toddler was just sleeping in my arms.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*pteroglossus View Post
    I sometimes overheard parents telling their kids "shh. the baby is sleeping", making me think maybe people just see what they expect to see and they assumed my 26 lb toddler was just sleeping in my arms.
    This has sometimes happened to me, most noticeably when grocery shopping, since I can "prop" DD on the handlebar of the shopping cart, it really doesn't look like she's nursing unless you know what to look for. I'm glad to hear you had a good and easy time of it while in Louisiana.
    Proud mama to:
    Amethyst, born Dec 15, 2010. 4lbs 15oz at birth, with Esophageal Atresia/Tracheoesophageal Fistula. One major surgery, 14 minor surgeries so far.
    Vyse, born April 17, 2013. 7lbs 3oz at birth, and absolutely perfect.
    Spending alot of time and .