Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Breast and pumping issues

Default Breast and pumping issues

I have had an issue with over produce since the first week, which isnt a bad thing because I have been donating it. It also came in handy bacause i had extra milk when i have to have surgury.
    i have gone thru 3 pumps. the first one the flanges where to small and no way to get bigger ones but i stuck it out ( no money for a new one) until the motor went out. so i go t a new one which didnt empty me so i in turn started getting milk blisters and then got mastitis whith 2 weeks of using that pump. i now have the best pump ever. the Medela in style. I love it!!! However i am now having reaccuring issues with the milk blister and a clogged duct behind it. I do not know how to get the milk blister to go away and stay away. i have tried massaging, hot water and pricking it. pricking it hurts but it is affective but it bleeds, i cant do the hot water or soak at work and massageing only gets so far.
    [*]question 1. does blood curdle the milk?? or should i be worries of an affection again?[*]question 2. does anyone have ideas to help keep the milk blister and clogging from coming back or limit the times it does come back?[*]questions 3. any ideas on how to do the hot water soak at work? i am currenly pumping in a public ladies bathroom. i have a curtained off space for me.[/LIST]
    Audrey

Default Re: Breast and pumping issues

Blood does not curdle the milk, and bloody milk is safe for baby to drink. If seeing blood in the milk freaks you out, simply allow the bottle to sit in the fridge until the blood separates out. The milk will float on top, and you will be able to pour it off. A gravy separator may help you with this chore.

Most likely explanation for the repeat blister is some sort of fit issue with the pump shield.

One way you could do the hot water soak at work would be with a shot glass. Fill that with warm water, lower your nipple into the water, bring the rim of the glass up to the skin, and when it forms a seal against the skin, you can straighten up.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Nice idea with the shot glass never thought of that. I know the shields fit. My doc helped me with the size.
    Thanks!
    Audrey

The reason I mention milk curling is I had a full bottle that I had just pumped and it had a lot of blood in it so I was pouring it out and it came out in globs. Should I be worried that the mastitis is back?
    Audrey

Clumpy, stringy, or clotted milk can be a symptom of mastitis, so yes, you do want to keep an eye on the situation.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"