Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Baby sleeping long hours at night, question

Default Baby sleeping long hours at night, question

Hi,
    My 7week old little girl is very alert, hard to put down for a nap during the day, but sleeps straight through the night. I have been waking her for nursing at about 5 hours then she goes back to sleep for another three. I'm enjoying the sleep for sure but have a question. My midwife told me to let her sleep, to not wake her and when she gets weighed next Tuesday the pediatrician said if she is 10 lbs that I can let her sleep without waking. She is very healthy, has been gaining 9 oz a week the past month. So, should I let her sleep and allow my body to readjust to her needs, or should I continue to wake her at five hours, or should I let her sleep and pump? I know I will likely get my period back if I let her sleep.

Thanks!!

Default Re: Baby sleeping long hours at night, question

There's absolutely nothing wrong with waking your baby after 5 hours. Night-nursing is good for her, and it's helping keep your period away. And the long sleep stretch is VERY unlikely to last. Many babies go through a phase of sleeping through early on and then return to frequent night-wakings as teething gets under way. And if you are planning to return to the workforce, night-nursing can help you keep your supply going when you're back at your desk and relying more on the pump. So continuing to night-nurse and training yourself to night-nurse has certain benefits. On the other hand, sleeping is nice, too! Really, it's up to you at this point.

One thing I have to say is silly is your pediatrician's statement that you can let your baby sleep now that she's 10 lbs. That's very old-fashioned advice and is completely unsupported by any sort of scientific evidence.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

My DD2 will be 7 weeks tomorrow and regularly will sleep from 9:00pm to 4:00 and sometimes 5:00 am, then nurse and immediately go back to sleep for 3 hours. She's also very active during the day and catnaps a lot but doesn't take many long stretches of sleep. I don't wake her to eat and have let my supply adjust. She's already 9 lbs 6 ounces from her 7 lb 5 oz discharge weight. Every woman is different but I never got my period back with DD1 until after I quit pumping completely at 13 months.
    Trying to keep up with a busy 3.5 year old Morgan Alexis born 11/5/09 at 6 lbs 5 oz and proud retired 1 year EP'er!

Nursing our new addition Jordan Catherine born 10/21/12 at 7 lbs 14 oz.

Total donated milk so far - 1,368 ounces!

Thanks for the replies! Sounds like we have similar babies Rose was also born 10/21. I will be working from home, so will only be pumping for a freezer stash, so I may start letting her sleep, or at least be a bit more relaxed about it. I hate waking her.