Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: gah! DD2 (3 months) will only nurse or go to sleep in wrap!

Angry gah! DD2 (3 months) will only nurse or go to sleep in wrap!

OK, so that's a bit of an exaggeration, but it's definitely getting to be a "thing", where she is clearly wanting to sleep, nurse or both, but refuses to do so unless I'm wandering around with her in the sling, often insisting on being jostled. Luckily, I've finally figured out how to nurse IN the sling (which I never quite got the hang of with the other two). But I can't even sit down unless she's in DEEP sleep or she wakes up and complains - even if the boob is in her mouth!!! Sometimes I have to jostle her up and down in the sling WHILE trying to latch her on. And I am TOTALLY lopsided, because I can't figure out how to put the sling on the other side, so she's mostly nursing only one side during the day. Of course when _I_ want to put her in the carrier to get chores done, she screams bloody murder. ARGH. I love you, baby, really I do...

Not really looking for advice, just complaining (though I won't turn down suggestions).

Default Re: gah! DD2 (3 months) will only nurse or go to sleep in wr

Oy, that sounds irritating! Have you considered just being a hardass, and putting the sling aside or mostly aside? Eventually she's going to get hungry and eat, and if she gets hungry enough maybe she'll be a bit more flexible about how/where she gets fed?
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I might get there - but I'm not there yet. Right now it's a nuisance, but it's doable, and at least I CAN get her settled and focused enough to nurse/fall asleep.

I think what's happening is that she's going from 0 (content) to 60 (super hungry/tired) too quickly and bypasses the stage where she's able to do something about it without being totally freaked out (or at least, not so's I can tell enough to offer in time). So the sling calms her down and then she can realize that what she really wants is to nurse.

duplicate post.

Will she suck on a finger or pacifier during the freak-out period? That might remind her that sucking is the likely cure for her distress.

I know that 0 to 60 in a heartbeat babies are tough! My first was that way. Forget "early" hunger cues like rooting and hand-sucking and gentle fussing. She went from calm to screaming in no time.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I've been debating introducing a pacifier. Not a big paci fan, but not ruling it out.