Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How you you know if you really have a low supply?

Default How you you know if you really have a low supply?

For the past almost week now, maybe more like 5 days...DD has been refusing breast at times..that is how it started..and I think it was due to my letdown being slower than usual.

Now Im wondering if my supply may have dipped a bit? Not sure if maybe AF is on the way or what. My DD is 4 months exactly and weighs around 14 lbs. was 8 lbs at birth. [though i havent had her weighed on an actual scale since she was 8 weeks and she was 11 1/2 lbs then.]

she has enough pee pee diapers and poops mainly every other day or every two days.

she doesnt act more hungry or fussy after nursing and coos, smiles, interacts, etc.

she STTN and has been since 10 weeks.

Im just wondering if im having a temporary dip in supply due to a few factors [being back to work for a month now, working night shift on the weekends, her STTN now for so long, and the actual regulation of supply that occurs around this time anyway].

I know I can go get her weighed before and after feeding, etc but its about to be the weekend and I wouldnt be able to do that until at least next week...

..and right now we are dealing with slow let down which is making me anxious and not helping so that is my main focus right now.

ideas? thank you so much!

Default Re: How you you know if you really have a low supply?

I don't think you have a low supply. She's getting enough to eat. You're not supplementing her with formula are you? What do you do when she refuses to nurse? Just try again later?
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommy2lilah View Post
    I don't think you have a low supply. She's getting enough to eat. You're not supplementing her with formula are you? What do you do when she refuses to nurse? Just try again later?
    No formula. Yes, if she doesnt want to nurse and its been 2-3 hrs since she last fed I have been pumping. But, I think the reason she was refusing to nurse was b/c my let down is taking a bit longer..like 2-3 mins vs. almost immediate like it was prior and I think I was interpreting that she just didnt want to eat.

So, now I just let her pop on and off, so long as she doesnt get upset or frustrated.

And yes I try again in an hr or two.

I see no problem. I wouldn't even be concerned about it unless you see diapers dip to below 6 a day.

Way too lazy for formula

I think she would have six pee diapers if I changed her more often...I usually change her every 2 to 3 hrs as needed. Today I think I changed 5 pee diapers. 2 or 3
    That were more than the standard amt of wetness.

But just tonight I nurse her before bed n I timed it took 5 mins for letdown....just 3 days ago I was leaking....what gives?

It's Pee diapers in a 24hour period. Not just the day Shift. 6am-6am. And it's normal for your supply to regulate and even out. You don't WANT to leak. Also STTN for how long? 4-5 hours? Or longer than 6hours at a time. Because if it's six or longer than is a little alarming. Obviously going than 6hours at a time WILL affect supply this early in the game. If she is going longer than 6hours slip a dream feed in there at night or at 5am when you get up to pee.

Way too lazy for formula

Thumbs down Re: How you you know if you really have a low supply?

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*djs.mom View Post
    It's Pee diapers in a 24hour period. Not just the day Shift. 6am-6am. And it's normal for your supply to regulate and even out. You don't WANT to leak. Also STTN for how long? 4-5 hours? Or longer than 6hours at a time. Because if it's six or longer than is a little alarming. Obviously going than 6hours at a time WILL affect supply this early in the game. If she is going longer than 6hours slip a dream feed in there at night or at 5am when you get up to pee.
    Yes she's been sttn for 10 to 12 hrs straight since 10weeks. I've been back to work now for a month work fri n sat nights 7p to 7a.....so I pump those two nights at work to keep supply up......its tricky cause I have to sleep during day sat n sun n she's is not. Here with me... I plan to breastfeed her for at leas a year so I need tips please!!!
    I also hear when af is on its way that can cause dip....

I am telling you that you need to add in feeds. IN a 24hour period you need to be feeding or pumping if away at LEAST 8-10 times. Which isn't mathmatically possible if you are letting her sleep 10-12hours straight every night. Because that only leaves you 12 other hours in a day and I assume she naps! So when home you need to break that up. Bring her to bed with you while she is sleeping and let her feed. Babies WILL eat in there sleep. And do the same thing while YOU sleep during the day on the weekends. Have her brought to you for her naps so that she can nurse while you are in bed. And TRACK the time. You NEED to hit 8 times in a 24hour period as a MINIMUM goal. Your supply will dry up if you don't. Because at 4months, without enough demand there will be no supply.

Way too lazy for formula

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*djs.mom View Post
    I am telling you that you need to add in feeds. IN a 24hour period you need to be feeding or pumping if away at LEAST 8-10 times. Which isn't mathmatically possible if you are letting her sleep 10-12hours straight every night. Because that only leaves you 12 other hours in a day and I assume she naps! So when home you need to break that up. Bring her to bed with you while she is sleeping and let her feed. Babies WILL eat in there sleep. And do the same thing while YOU sleep during the day on the weekends. Have her brought to you for her naps so that she can nurse while you are in bed. And TRACK the time. You NEED to hit 8 times in a 24hour period as a MINIMUM goal. Your supply will dry up if you don't. Because at 4months, without enough demand there will be no supply.
    first off, she sleeps in her own room in her crib since she was a month old. she then started sucking her thumb at 6 weeks and never looked back. when i try to nurse her every two hrs during the day she refuses when she is not truly hungry and just wants her thumb to go to sleep...and also she will spit up more if i try to feed her more often than she demands. I also have a waterbed so she cant sleep with me.

I also cant bring her into bed with me during the day when I sleep b/c she isnt here....my hubby works on saturdays and the kids are at my moms.

I have spoke to my friend who is an LC and she never said I needed to have 8 times in 24 hrs. She knows my dd's patterns. Since all this I have added a pumping session before I go to bed, which is my 6th session of the day. I can't seem to get my DD to nurse more than 5 times per day even when I offer it more

Is your friend an IBCLC? Because I really doubt that ANY certified LC would condone only nursing 5times in a 24hour period as acceptable to maintaining supply. Especially at 4 months.And hey you are asking for suggestions on how to MAINTAIN your supply. Because you see a dip an want to continue. If you can't find a way to up the amount she is demanding your only real option is to add in pumping sessions. What kind of suggestions are you looking for? It's all supply and demand. If you need to make more milk, the only way to do that is to demand MORE from your body. So if it's working for you, great. But since realistically your supply is adjusting and your body is working to make the exact right amount she eats, oversupply that is sometimes abundant up until this point WILL continue to dwindle. If you can make enough in 5 or 6 times a day wonderful. I just have never seen that work long term. It sometimes happens because of oversupply. But even the worst cases of that I have seen usually calms down by the 6 month point.
    As always base it on diaper output and weight gain. If you are able to work that out on what you are doing, keep doing it. IF her diaper out put lightens OR Her weight gain stalls and you can't get her to eat more than 5 times in a day, you will need to pump more to keep things going.

Way too lazy for formula