I've been doing some reading on the forums but I haven't been able to find specific advice for my issues.
Here's a quick rundown, hopefully someone will be able to help!
- We have seen an LC
- My milk came in on day 2
- We had incredibly painful latch with clicking noises which prompted the consultation
- Baby has upper lip tie with possible, very small posterior tongue tie in which I noticed the upper lip tie and it was confirmed by LC who also checked for TT
- Latch has improved on left side, nipple is no longer lip stick shaped, no pain - nipple is only elongated but maintains shape when baby comes off
- Latch on right side feels like someone is cutting my nipple off even when I have:
Changed nursing holds, "sandwiched" breast, used C hold, used U hold, attempted to flange upper lip (due to tie it does not flange)
- The nipple on the right is extremely lip stick shaped and painful to touch for almost 20 minutes post feeding
- Both nipples have recently turned bright pink and I'm African American
I've contacted another LC because the first LC I contacted I cannot afford to see regularly as she doesn't accept insurance (she came recommended by pedi and mom's group). That LC is also pushing to have my baby clipped but the only recommended providers do not accept dental or insurance in general and it's $650 to get both TT and LT clipped. The other places that accept insurance require baby to be put under GA to be clipped.
I'm at a loss! I've started pumping on the right side to keep production up. I am pumping and dumping because I don't want bottles and I'm only getting about 25-30 mL as I pump after feedings.
Thank you in advance!!