Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 2 week old, shallow latch on 1 side only

Default 2 week old, shallow latch on 1 side only

Hello all!

I've been doing some reading on the forums but I haven't been able to find specific advice for my issues.

Here's a quick rundown, hopefully someone will be able to help!

- We have seen an LC
    - My milk came in on day 2
    - We had incredibly painful latch with clicking noises which prompted the consultation
    - Baby has upper lip tie with possible, very small posterior tongue tie in which I noticed the upper lip tie and it was confirmed by LC who also checked for TT
    - Latch has improved on left side, nipple is no longer lip stick shaped, no pain - nipple is only elongated but maintains shape when baby comes off
    - Latch on right side feels like someone is cutting my nipple off even when I have:
    Changed nursing holds, "sandwiched" breast, used C hold, used U hold, attempted to flange upper lip (due to tie it does not flange)
    - The nipple on the right is extremely lip stick shaped and painful to touch for almost 20 minutes post feeding
    - Both nipples have recently turned bright pink and I'm African American

I've contacted another LC because the first LC I contacted I cannot afford to see regularly as she doesn't accept insurance (she came recommended by pedi and mom's group). That LC is also pushing to have my baby clipped but the only recommended providers do not accept dental or insurance in general and it's $650 to get both TT and LT clipped. The other places that accept insurance require baby to be put under GA to be clipped.

I'm at a loss! I've started pumping on the right side to keep production up. I am pumping and dumping because I don't want bottles and I'm only getting about 25-30 mL as I pump after feedings.

Any advice?

Thank you in advance!!
    Last edited by @llli*superk; December 7th, 2012 at 06:27 AM. Reason: Posted before finished

Default Re: 2 week old, shallow latch on 1 side only

Welcome to the forum! I am sorry about the insurance thing- how awful to have to decide between general anesthesia for your baby and a huge out-of-pocket expense! I think I would call the practice which is covered by your insurance, and discuss releasing the tie without general anesthesia. You're the mommy, you're the boss, and if you say "I don't want my young baby put all the way under" they should be responsive to you!

If you're willing to post your location, there may be someone on the forum who can direct you to a good resource in your area.

Bright pink nipples in a mom of any race make me think of thrush, which is a yeast infection of the breast and the baby's oral cavity. Thrush is notorious for causing post-feeding pain, particularly a burning pain. Another possible explanation for post-feeding pain- and one which would match well with the tongue tie and lipstick-shaped nipples- is vasospasm: http://kellymom.com/bf/concerns/moth...ple-blanching/. Another possibility is that baby has simply sucked you raw, removing the uppermost layer of dark skin. IIRC, we had an African American mom here a few years back who experienced something similar. But the pain you're in makes me think that the first two possibilities are more likely...

It's great that you're pumping up the supply on the right while you get this figured out. I'd save the milk, though- you never know when you or someone else might want it!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Wow!! You were spot on with the nipple blanching/vasospasm. I actually got that during pregnancy in terms of vasospasm when it was cold, but it went away immediately after pregnancy. That makes me feel so much better to know what's going on...

I am in Connecticut, but after a lot of phone calls yesterday (6+ hours)... I found a dental clinic that works with TT/LT newborns, uses lasers, accepts baby's insurance AND does NOT put to sleep. The hospital I delivered which runs the clinic and the breastfeeding group assured me that they do not put babies that young to sleep. I had been following the advice of the LC I paid out of pocket for and did not realize that the support I was already getting was enough. I wasn't asking the right people the right question.

Baby has a consultation with one of the oral surgeons this coming Friday to be checked out. In the meantime, I have baby eating off of the left side and I am pumping the right side simultaneously. I did this last night and my right breast feels amazing today. I'll be meeting with a new LC before and after consultation.

I did take your advice and saved the milk. Though LO was acting as if he wasn't getting enough from the left breast this morning, and I switched him to the right. It was not as painful since I had given the right a whole night off.

I will keep this updated in case anyone else is having an issue like I am... really praying that clipping baby's TT/LT will improve the shallow latch issues and help our BFing.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommal View Post
    Welcome to the forum! I am sorry about the insurance thing- how awful to have to decide between general anesthesia for your baby and a huge out-of-pocket expense! I think I would call the practice which is covered by your insurance, and discuss releasing the tie without general anesthesia. You're the mommy, you're the boss, and if you say "I don't want my young baby put all the way under" they should be responsive to you!

If you're willing to post your location, there may be someone on the forum who can direct you to a good resource in your area.

Bright pink nipples in a mom of any race make me think of thrush, which is a yeast infection of the breast and the baby's oral cavity. Thrush is notorious for causing post-feeding pain, particularly a burning pain. Another possible explanation for post-feeding pain- and one which would match well with the tongue tie and lipstick-shaped nipples- is vasospasm: http://kellymom.com/bf/concerns/moth...ple-blanching/. Another possibility is that baby has simply sucked you raw, removing the uppermost layer of dark skin. IIRC, we had an African American mom here a few years back who experienced something similar. But the pain you're in makes me think that the first two possibilities are more likely...

It's great that you're pumping up the supply on the right while you get this figured out. I'd save the milk, though- you never know when you or someone else might want it!

That's wonderful news! Proof that sometimes you can get the answer you want if you are persistent and ask the right person. Although 6 hours on the phone while caring for a new baby has me .

I hope the tongue-tie release solves all the problems. I just want to encourage you to keep going, even if releasing the tie doesn't fix everything. Time almost always cures latch issues, even for babies with tongue ties. Bigger baby = bigger mouth = deeper latch = less compression and pain. Until then, keep the heat on the vasospasms- that can help a lot.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"