Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Best way to increase milk supply fast?

Default Best way to increase milk supply fast?

What are you best suggestions for the most effective way to increase milk supply the fastest? my baby is 4 months old. I can't be with her all the time. I know mine may not even be low, but rather just try to up it now instead of trial and error first and then have bigger problems. I also work night shift on the weekends 12 hr overnight shifts...so that makes things even more complicated.

i already started adding a pumping session after baby goes to bed at night on the nights im home...sunday-thurs...

i just started doing this again on tues night.

reason for me trying to increase is b/c baby has been refusing breast more often the past few days and my letdowns have been taking longer and she is getting frustrated. she has to get bottles on the weekends when im not with her.

i nursed my son for 13 months and never had issues like this with him.

im not a happy momma right now

Default Re: Best way to increase milk supply fast?

Unfortunately, there isn't much you can do to increase milk quickly. There are things you can do to help increase your supply (taking galactogues, etc.), but none of them are foolproof and they're not fast. Primarily, it's supply and demand. Just keep getting baby to the breast.

Most moms have better supply in the morning, so if part of your concern is keeping your stash up, you could try adding a pumping session in the morning instead of the evening (though I'm not sure how that works if you are on the night shift...).

One thing for breast refusal due to slow letdown - you can hand express a little first to get things going so when she latches it comes a bit faster.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*manitobamommy View Post
    Unfortunately, there isn't much you can do to increase milk quickly. There are things you can do to help increase your supply (taking galactogues, etc.), but none of them are foolproof and they're not fast. Primarily, it's supply and demand. Just keep getting baby to the breast.

Most moms have better supply in the morning, so if part of your concern is keeping your stash up, you could try adding a pumping session in the morning instead of the evening (though I'm not sure how that works if you are on the night shift...).

One thing for breast refusal due to slow letdown - you can hand express a little first to get things going so when she latches it comes a bit faster.
    thanks for your feedback. not trying to build a stash. i have plenty of stash 700 ounces frozen. What I need it to boost my supplyso that it helps make my letdowns easier/faster. they have been taking alot longer the past few days, as long as 5 mins for baby and 45 mins with pump. this is only making me more anxious and stressed out which is not helping.

Increasing your milk supply isn't necessarily going to make your letdowns happen any faster. I've heard taking blessed thistle or fennel can help with let down issues, but I'm not sure how you would use it. Here's an article with some tips about slow letdown and how you can try to fix it.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous