Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Poor Eater...suggestions

Default Poor Eater...suggestions

My 21 month old doesn't have that much interest in solid food these days. She mostly eats cheese and and pasta, but refuses most fruits, vegetables, beans, etc. She used to be a much better eater.
    I want to night wean, but I feel like she wakes hungry and it is easier to nurse than to refuse and deal with her crying and waking more frequently. She night wakes 2 times, sometimes 3. But I feel like she needs to be eating more solid food throughout the day. She goes to day care 2 times during the week and doesn't each much there. We nurse on demand at home, but I am getting a little tired of the frequent nursing sessions.

Default Re: Poor Eater...suggestions

The type of pickiness you describe is really common with older toddlers. It's the kid's way of exerting control, it's a normal development of food preferences, and it's also self-protective. If toddlers were as indiscriminate about what they put into their mouths as younger babies are, they'd be at a higher risk of being poisoned because they are more independent and more able to get into things when mom isn't watching.

Best thing to do is to remain calm and patient and to continue to offer a variety of healthy solids while modeling good eating habits yourself. Don't fall into the trap of offering only the foods your kid likes because that way at least she'll eat something. It's really normal for older toddlers to not eat very much on a given day- remember, their caloric needs are still fairly slight!

I think that if you want to night-wean, you should go ahead and do so. Your LO should be able to get her caloric needs met during the day. And maybe if she wakes up hungry she'll be a better eater. Or not. You never know with little kids!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Is there anyone, friend or family member, that your daughter likes to emulate? Whenever my parents or inlaws visit I am shocked at how easily both grandfathers are able to get DS to eat foods that I have tried and tried to get him to eat. DS adores his grandfathers and wants to be just like them, so when "papa" eats broccoli, then DS eats broccoli.
    My little man was born 12/17/2010.

Baby girl was born 4/30/2014.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*sassypants View Post
    Is there anyone, friend or family member, that your daughter likes to emulate? Whenever my parents or inlaws visit I am shocked at how easily both grandfathers are able to get DS to eat foods that I have tried and tried to get him to eat. DS adores his grandfathers and wants to be just like them, so when "papa" eats broccoli, then DS eats broccoli.
    Totally love this idea. My DS, who is almost 4, straight up told me that he'll eat anything our nanny puts in front of him. Trust me, he does not do that for his parents. He also eats wonderfully for his grandparents. Peer pressure may work.
    Ellen

Mama-surgeon;
    DS Ethan 12/16/2008
    Breast fed/pumped 11 months as a surgical resident, 80 hours a week at work
    DS Abram Daniel 12/20/2012
    Feel like we've gotten a strong start

I have found with both of my kids that they are more likely to eat something that they helped prepare. Washing veggies, helping put spices in the recipe. My kids love to cook with me. Although messy and much more time comsuming, they like to try what they made and are very proud to tell dady when he gets home from work that they made dinner.

my name is Sarah mother to
    Alana 12/31/98
    Conner 5/30/09

Breastfeeding 3 years and counting!

Potty trained at 2 but kind of miss those cute CD's!

"Of all the rights of women, the greastest is to be a mother." Lin Yutang