Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Sudden engorgement on one side

Default Sudden engorgement on one side

Yesterday and today, my right breast (which has always produced more milk than the left) has felt engorged in the morning. DD (3.5 months old) normally only feeds off one breast per feeding, and I alternate breasts at each feeding. She sleeps with me and wakes up a few times during the night. So yesterday morning and this morning, she ate off the left when she woke up (she had nursed on the right during her last feeding during the night), and then she didn't want to nurse for quite a while after that. My right breast was feeling uncomfortably full, so I thought I'd just hand-express the excess -I got about 2 oz in less than five minutes, and that just relieved the engorgement. I did the same thing this morning. The next time she wanted to nurse, I gave her the right one as it still felt pretty full. Should I not have done that? I'm a little confused as to how to deal with this so that it doesn't become a daily issue, and so that I don't damage my supply on the left side. Anyone have any advice?

Default Re: Sudden engorgement on one side

You're doing the right thing, mama. Dealing with oversupply and engorgement is an art, not a science, and it requires a lot of patience. The fuller you keep the overachieving breast, and the longer it goes without being thoroughly drained, the more that breast is going to get the message that it needs to throttle back on production. Hand-expressing just enough milk to restore comfort should not perpetuate the oversupply problem. It will just make the process of supply reduction take a little longer.

If this continues to be an issue for you, I suggest only nursing on the left in the mornings, and only hand-expressing to the point of restored comfort on the right. Do that for a few days and see if anything changes.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Default Re: Sudden engorgement on one side

Thanks for the advice, mommal...we'll see how it goes!