Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Baby Showing signs of (early) self weaning?

Default Baby Showing signs of (early) self weaning?

Hi!

My daughter is 9 months old and not very interested in breastfeeding anymore. Naturally, this is a big concern for me. It seems to have gone somewhat beyond the typical "I'm too distracted to nurse" (though she is usually too distracted to nurse) and into the realm of "no, I really would rather have a sippy cup, be playing or be eating". Maybe this is just a phase? I am not worried that she is going to wean completely soon, but it seems to me that she would be happier (and maybe I would too?) If she was just nursing in the morning, before and after naps, once in the afternoon and onceat night only. Mind you, she still doesn't nurse very well before naps (10 seconds on, 10 seconds off, repeatedly, even in a dark room)This morning I tried to nurse her repeatedly, probably about 4 or 5 times, and she would suck for a second and then lose all interest. It worried me because after more than three hours wearing the same diaper, she was basically dry. Is this just paranoia? How should I proceed? When can I just "give in" and not push her to nurse during most of the day?

Default Re: Baby Showing signs of (early) self weaning?

normal! many moms use this as a moment to encourage weaning, but if you're interested in having her nurse longer term (past a year, say), just keep offering whenever you think of it, and i promise she'll soon enough go through a phase of nursing all the time again

remember that cue or demand nursing can be at EITHER mom or baby's cue. and having just BTDT, i can tell you that nursing just gets easier and more important as a parenting tool for me, so it's worth keeping it up!
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

Thank you Auderey! That's super encouraging and helpful.

oh, i should also have said - make sure you're always offering to nurse first (before solids or water) - because breastmilk should be primary food till a year. offer, and don't worry too much about how much she takes when, although if you're worried you could cut back on the solids (don't know how much she's eating).
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

Ds went through a similar phase from 10-12 months. I fretted about it too. I shouldn't have. He's 17 mo now and nursing as much as a newborn. The diaper being dry is sign of maturing bladder control, I think. He goes all night without wetting his diaper at least once a week, even with several nursing sessions while sleeping.

It seemed like she was getting better at nursing for a few days and I thought we may have been over the phase, but now she has gone back the other way again. The last three days she has barely nursed during the day and only really nursed well at 3am and at 8am when she wakes for the day. And I offer, a lot. IIt is a constant struggle to keep her on. Its like 10 seconds on, 30 seconds off, HUGE struggle to get her re-latched for 10 seconds then off again, HUGE struggle then repeat..... Isn't it possible that it is just her time to wean? I think she will still nurse in the morning and in the middle of the night for a long time but I seriously doubt she would miss nursing during the day at all.....

this distraction phse can be a month long or more, mama, not just a couple days!
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Oh the distraction has been going on for months, it just got better for a few days and then reverted again. It seems like she will have one really great day of nursing followed by 3 or 4 awful ones. I wonder if it evens out, calorie wise?

i have heard people say you should look at 48 hr calorie count for toddlers. it makes sense to me!
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13