Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Vacation and Frozen Milk

Default Vacation and Frozen Milk

DS is 9 months old. He is breastfed at home and gets bottles of pumped milk at daycare M-F. We are going on vacation next week, so he will be breastfed directly. I am worried about what to feed him his first Monday back at day care. I have a freezer stash built up, but I have never used any of it before. Should I try using some of it now, just to make sure he will take it okay when we get back? (Although what do I do if he won't take it?) Or can I just thaw it that Sunday night and he won't notice a difference on Monday?
    Thanks.

Default Re: Vacation and Frozen Milk

The only potential problem with the frozen milk (assuming it's not too old) is that a small percentage of moms have lipase in their milk which makes the milk taste funny (soapy/metallic) and baby won't take it. So it's probably a good idea to thaw some milk from your stash and test whether baby will take it. If he drinks it, then there is no lipase issue. In that case you would freeze the milk that you pump on your last day of work before vacation, and when you get back, take frozen milk into daycare. They should be able to thaw it there - just make sure they know to thaw it using warm water, not in a microwave. You have to throw away the thawed milk after 24 hours, so if you take it into them, you run less of a risk of the thawed milk not getting used. But if for some reason they can't or won't thaw it, then yes, you can thaw it by sticking it in the fridge overnight on Sunday.

If you discover a lipase issue, then you know you need to scald milk before freezing it. Here's a link to a thread on how to do that: http://forums.llli.org/showthread.ph...cessive-Lipase. Since you still have some time, you could try to squeeze in some extra pumping sessions so that you can build up a small stash of frozen, scalded milk for that first day back. But more than likely this won't be necessary.

ETA: If you are gone for less than 7-8 days, you can just leave your fresh milk from the last work day in the fridge.
    Last edited by @llli*bfwmomof3; December 4th, 2012 at 05:33 PM. Reason: wanted to add something

We did a test of frozen milk, and all went well. It will be 10 days. I last pumped on the 7th, and he goes back to daycare on the 17th.

Wonderful! So you can just freeze the milk on the last day of work, and thaw for the first day back. Enjoy your vacation!