Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bedtime woes...

Default Re: Bedtime woes...

Meg, the 4 year old has a really great bedtime routine, in his own room, and can fall asleep by himself (books, etc, kisses, say goodnight, and I can leave him in bed awake).

The now-almost-6 month old really does have a "bedtime" of her own body rhythm - she gets tired and wants my undivided attention for jammies, nursing, etc at about 7pm every night.

Actually, I haven't had much attention to give to this issue in the last couple of weeks, basically since I posted, because baby has been sick (cold, viral pink eye, ear infection, croup, all in succession, and now pneumonitis - ). She just got back on antibiotics to clear out the lung infection so ... in another 10 days I'm going to get on top of how to juggle the routine. So far mommal's suggestion of going back to the nightly bath seems to make most sense to me. If I can start doing that about 30 minutes before I expect to start getting my 4 year old to bed, I think the timing will be great.

When my 4 year old was this little I remember having a great bedtime routine for him at just 6 months, and I could sing him his lullaby and lay him down and he would fall asleep on his own, even then. He's always been a terrific sleeper and I'm hoping to help baby become one, too.

After she gets over all this sickness, that is. Poor little babe...
    Mama to
    O - July 2008
    and
    J - June 2012

I feel for you. I have a 4 (almost 5) month old and sounds like we are in similar situations, minus having a second child! My son is obviously tired around 7 but sometimes doesn't actually fall asleep until 10 or even 11. I will nurse him and he falls asleep (I have also started giving Mylicon at night to try and help) and he will sleep for about 30 minutes and then wake up screaming, crying, arching his back and this will go on for hours! I don't know if its gas, acid reflux or normal bedtime crying. He seems like he wants to nurse but he also seems so uncomfortable that he pulls off. I have started giving him a bottle of pumped milk (so I know that he is not hungry) and not feeding him again, just incase it is reflux. Once I finally get him to sleep I place him in his crib and he will wake up 2 hours later, I bring him in bed with me and he moans and groans all night and I have to pat his back to get him to stay asleep (very tiring). For his daytime naps, I feel like I spend a hour getting him down and then he will sleep for 30 mins. I need help, I have no idea what I'm doing wrong!

My baby is just turning 6 months and I work days (have to so we can pay the rent) and so she is reverse cycle nursing. My older two are pretty self suficient (ages 16 and 10) but I like to be able to go say good night to them around 9, make sure they are all set etc. Anyway, I don't have any other suggestions other than to say, I am going to work on giving her a bath every night and trying to make a real bed time for her instead. We also nurse basically from 7-9pm and so I have my older son (the 10 year old) come sit with me around 8 and read with me... I do know for my older two that the bed time ritual helped a lot and doing a bath, a book and nursing put them to sleep. I didn't have to work with them, so its a little different now. My baby hates bottles so she doesn't take much during the day, which is why she is nursing so much after work and all night... HUGS! You aren't alone!
    Mama of three, two boys ages 16 and 10 and a girl who is 6 months old...
    Nursed the two older ones til past age 3, hoping to do the same with baby girl

Maize75 - thanks for the hugs. Just last night I got fed up having to interrupt reading with my 4 yo and just brought baby to his room while we read. She was surprised for sure and tolerated listening through books! And they were Loooong books, too. Maybe it's about time we can merge the routines? We can experiment anyway...

Stro812 - my 4 yo had reflux and what you're describing sounds very similar. Does he cry and arch his back at all during the day? I wouldn't substitute the bottle for your breast, though. That's a slippery slope and probably won't make a difference for the reflux! It may be worth a call to your doctor - my 4 yo got some medicine prescribed for his reflux and it seemed to help. If your guy has reflux, that's an easy fix!
    Mama to
    O - July 2008
    and
    J - June 2012