Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: How do you deal with supply dips with AF/ovulation..

Default Supply Issues with period & ovulation

What do you do when you are midcycle and baby gets fussy with the breast?

Last month when this happened I was freaking out b/c I thought something was wrong...it was a long and stressful 4-5 days. but then AF came, I started pumping more and baby seemed to go back to normal [though a new normal].

now, ive been noticing my nips are more sore past 4 days, and just today and somewhat yesterday, baby has been more fussy and refusing the breast at certain times. I am also noticing my let downs are slower as well, esp when baby nurses. She isnt a comfort nurser most of the time...she is a thumb sucker and STTN for 10-12 hrs so I only get stimulation at the breast during the day. [aside from my 2 night shifts at work each week]

Its pretty frustrating, b/c I need the stimulation [and I know she isnt full enough to nurse], so i end up having to pump when I would rather her just nurse.

I thought maybe the milk was tasting different, but if she drinks my pumped [previously frozen milk] from a bottle just fine then I don't understand why she'd refuse to nurse even if it didnt taste the same at this time in my cycle.

I am on cd 19 right now. Is this going to continue until I ovulate and/or get AF? I am not charting temps so I dont really know whats going on. Just marking CM when I notice it.

Is this going to happen every month/cycle? I have been taking the Cal/Mag supplements as kellymom states since this happened last time.

I've been back to pumping every night before bed now for 3 weeks.[to total 6 or 7 nursings or stimulations per 24 hrs], and i upped my pumps at work to 3 times in my 12 hr shifts.

I am at a loss for what to do anymore. I know she prob is still getting what she needs and will be ok. but i hate to have to struggle to keep it up at this time every month, esp when I work night shift and that doesn't help at all either. I am hoping the next time we go to the doctor she will be at least over 14 lbs. She last weighed 13 lbs 11.5oz 3 weeks ago. Prior to that she weighed 11lbs 8oz at 8 weeks. she will be 5 months on 1/6/13.

If I were to go on birth control [the mini pill] would that possibly keep AF away and hormones more at bay? I was on this when BFing my son and though I did have a lot of breakthrough bleeding and spotting which was really annyoying, I never had issues like I am having right now. I really hated the way that pill made me feel though so I'd rather not go back on it, if I dont have to, but I just wish there was an easier solution to all of this :/

Suggestions please?
    Last edited by @llli*jhowell; December 28th, 2012 at 01:00 PM.

Default Re: How do you deal with supply dips with AF/ovulation..

Any chance that you're already pregnant? The nipple soreness and fussiness at the breast would be consistent. But teething could also be to blame- babies often soothe their sore gums on mom. Or perhaps the fussiness is more related to the fact that your baby is getting a fair number of bottles and is, perhaps, coming to prefer feeding from them...

Basically what I'm saying is that based on the data provided above, there's no way to know for sure what the problem is.

I wouldn't use the mini-pill. You say you already feel like you're struggling to keep up, and the mini-pill could make that problem worse. It's not supposed to affect supply, but there are enough anecdotal reports of moms experiencing supply reduction while using the mini-pill that I think it makes sense to avoid it.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Default Re: How do you deal with supply dips with AF/ovulation..

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommal View Post
    Any chance that you're already pregnant? The nipple soreness and fussiness at the breast would be consistent. But teething could also be to blame- babies often soothe their sore gums on mom. Or perhaps the fussiness is more related to the fact that your baby is getting a fair number of bottles and is, perhaps, coming to prefer feeding from them...

Basically what I'm saying is that based on the data provided above, there's no way to know for sure what the problem is.

I wouldn't use the mini-pill. You say you already feel like you're struggling to keep up, and the mini-pill could make that problem worse. It's not supposed to affect supply, but there are enough anecdotal reports of moms experiencing supply reduction while using the mini-pill that I think it makes sense to avoid it.
    well i took the mini pill with my son from 9 weeks pp..and never noticied supply issues ever. However, he did NOT STTN like my DD does for such long stretches until he was 8-9 months old. I dont think im pregnant we use pull out and he is very good about that, plus, based on where i am in my cycle, day 19 now, it only seems logical that its ovulation/hormone related. it just started happening yesterday. serioualy i was leaking from my other breast that she wasnt nursing off of just 2 days ago and now im not leaking at all. its a very abrupt change. i was just thinking the mini pill may keep my hormones at bay, thus preventing me from ovulating and getting a real period and possibly be a help to this issue we seem to be having each month.

i dont think its teething related. i just dont think shes getting enough at times, at the breast, and she gives up too quick, not working for additional let downs.
    Last edited by @llli*jhowell; December 28th, 2012 at 02:03 PM.