Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Side-lying nursing and milk coming out of nose?

Default Side-lying nursing and milk coming out of nose?

My daughter is 5 weeks old and when I nurse lying down, she often ends up with milk coming out her nose. Is this common or a cause for concern? I have a very fast letdown and she has been congested. I thought it was a cold but could it be because my milk is congesting her?

She is fairly happy, rarely cries, has some spit ups and often has hiccups after feeding but she seems fairly healthy (besides a case of thrush we are battling right now)

Thank you!

Default Re: Side-lying nursing and milk coming out of nose?

I had the same experience when my LO was that age. I also concluded it was the milk because she'd only be congested during nursing or right after. And now that I think about it it was also when lying down, which makes sense, since I guess that makes it easier for the milk to go up through the nose rather than all down the throat. I also have fast letdown. It resolved itself without any specific intervention. It didn't seem to bother her so I never really worried about it. And milk in the nose is not harmful in and of itself (some people actual use milk to decongest baby during a cold!).