Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Fluctuation in supply

Default Fluctuation in supply

Yesterday my supply seemed fine, my LO was satisfied after feedings and my breasts felt somewhat full until late afternoon when they were very empty and flat. I understand that your supply is lower at the end of the day, but this was way emptier than usual for me at that time of day. Today, it's been the same thing...very flat, empty breasts from the get go, my LO is not satisfied after feedings, even after taking the second breast (which he rarely ever does because he's always done after the first), and I cannot hand express anything after like I had been able to do up until this point. This same situation happened to me almost exactly 2 weeks (after shots made him lose his appetite) and after nursing around the clock during the day for the next to days, my supply was fine again.....until yesterday.
    Is this normal? What would be causing my supply to drop suddenly like this? He's been sttn for awhile now and his eating schedule hasn't changed so I don't know what's going on. Is this a sign that I won't be able to bf for long?

Default Re: Fluctuation in supply

How old is your baby?
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

He turned 11 weeks this sunday

Keep an eye on wet diapers. You should be getting at least 5-6 wets per day and as long as it doesn't drop below that he's getting enough milk.

I think the most likely explanation is that your body is regulating to produce exactly what your baby needs. And possibly that combined with a growth spurt, which would make your baby nurse more to boost your supply.

Another possible explanation is that your period is about to return. It would be earlier than average for a nursing mom, but definitely not unheard of, especially when baby is sleeping through the night. If that's the case it will only last a few days and then jump back up, but in the meantime baby might want to nurse more frequently. If he doesn't seem satisfied after a feeding, put him back on the breast and let him nurse more. This will stimulate your supply and keep it matching his needs. I used to eat oatmeal on those days (for me it was usually the three or four days right before my period started) to give me an extra supply boost.

And of course if you really feel baby isn't getting enough or that your supply isn't rebounding the way it should, I would recommend you start waking baby to nurse at night at least once. Going all night without emptying your breasts with this young of a baby could potentially impact your supply. Alternatively, you could wake and pump, but I think in the middle of the night it's much easier to nurse than pump and your baby will be a better at stimulating milk production than a pump.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous