Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Number of pumps/feeds per 24 hrs to maintain supply?

Default Re: Number of pumps/feeds per 24 hrs to maintain supply?

So you're having better success when she's tired? Often a baby on a nursing strike will be more likely to feed when half-asleep. How about feeding her at night when she's not fully awake (dream feeding), feeding her before she wakes up in the morning or from her naps? You are getting her to nurse at times so that's a good start.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*bfwmomof3 View Post
    So you're having better success when she's tired? Often a baby on a nursing strike will be more likely to feed when half-asleep. How about feeding her at night when she's not fully awake (dream feeding), feeding her before she wakes up in the morning or from her naps? You are getting her to nurse at times so that's a good start.
    so far yes, but i tired at noon....when i knew she was tired but she wouldnt nurse. last time she ate was at 8am this morning and its 130pm now and shes sleeping...

im not so much worried about her not nursing when shes WITH me...im more concerned that if this doesnt resolve before friday [and im guessing it may not] she may not go back to boob at all since she gets bottles all day saturday and half day sunday :/ as it is, i have to go to a meeting at work tomorrow morning for 2 hrs and i have to leave her with my friend..and i cant NOT leave her milk just incase ya know?

Yeah, I see what you mean. How about bottle alternatives? http://kellymom.com/bf/pumpingmoms/f...feeding/#older

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*jhowell View Post

feel like im running out of time with having to work on friday
    You're not running out of time. It won't help to have her getting a lot of bottles for a few days, but it's not going to ruin everything and make it impossible to fix, either. I second the idea of trying bottle alternatives, but please don't get stressed and feel like you've got to fix everything before Friday or all is lost.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*still.here View Post
    You're not running out of time. It won't help to have her getting a lot of bottles for a few days, but it's not going to ruin everything and make it impossible to fix, either. I second the idea of trying bottle alternatives, but please don't get stressed and feel like you've got to fix everything before Friday or all is lost.
    I hear you! I would just help much more if she could only be with me at only at the breast. my friend is a LC and she works with me and she said if it were her kid she would just call in sick and say shes vomiting, vs. giving her bottles all weekend while at work. I will be honest, its going to be hard for me to work the right way anyway [or sleep during the day which is what i have to do], if she is still acting this way. so, i may end up calling off.

I heard her stirring/waking up close to 2pm so I sat in the rocker and put her on the boob. she ate...but since she was only comfort sucking initially, it took like FIVE mins for my let down. Typically other times, she stimulates it within 1 or 2 mins max and most times sooner than that. im just wondering if when i offer it to her and maybe she isnt that hungry and doesnt want to have to keep sucking for the let down.

guess we will see what rest of day brings..ugh this is so stressful :/

If you can get away with calling in to work, do it! It will definitely help to be able to have that time. I just didn't want you to feel like you might as well give up if you didn't have it worked out by then.

You could try pumping a little before you nurse to get a letdown and latch baby on once it's already going. Might help with the impatience if that's the problem, or at least keep her interested.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*still.here View Post
    If you can get away with calling in to work, do it! It will definitely help to be able to have that time. I just didn't want you to feel like you might as well give up if you didn't have it worked out by then.

You could try pumping a little before you nurse to get a letdown and latch baby on once it's already going. Might help with the impatience if that's the problem, or at least keep her interested.
    oh no i wasnt planning on giving up and never would! she doesnt have an option in my book just saying since we are already in a rut it was only going to make it worse, likely, and we'd have a harder time next week when im home with her :/

I am think part of the reason my DD is refusing the breast is my letdown seems to be slower than usual, more likely when my breasts are not as full. Does anyone know how to fix this?

I am only able to succssfully nurse her when she is sleepy and at 6pm tonight got her to take the right side.. then fell asleep...i wanted her to take the left side, and she hadnt had a bath yet so I bathed her she was happy, etc. and put jammies on. put her on the left side and she was fine at first but after about 1-2 mins she started getting antsy. She ended up getting so upset, screaming, I had to calm her down...she ended up getting her thumb and falling asleep . then i stuck her back on the left side to get her to nurse and she did, but only comfort sucking so it took FOREVER for my milk to let down-like 15 mins-at least it seemed that long. I know it was prob also due to me being stressed.

I doubled pumped for like 20 mins after she fed and am going to pump once more before bed tonight.

What else can I do? What is causing this so sudden?
    Last edited by @llli*jhowell; December 5th, 2012 at 07:12 PM.

What about still.here's idea of pumping enough to let down, then putting LO on the breast so that she doesn't have to wait for the milk? Are you noticing a slower than usual let-down with the pump too? And yes, I agree with you, I think stress is not helping.... I've definitely noticed that being stressed can impact on my let-downs.