Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Starting on day 3...

Default Starting on day 3...

It has been around 50 hours since LO nursed. He asks for it, then just holds it in his mouth. I hand expressed some milk last night, today I have been doing cold compresses. The girls have filled back up, naturally. He just refuses to nurse. I am prone to clogged ducts, but he just abruptly stopped. Will I get an infection? Are there other things I can do for relief?

Default Re: Starting on day 3...

Infection is not a sure thing, but if you're prone to clogged ducts or infections this is definitely a time to be extra vigilant about them. Don't be afraid to remove milk. If you drain the breast really thoroughly, you'll keep production high. If you remove a small amount- enough to restore comfort- your supply will still decrease, albeit a little more slowly than if you simply put up with the fullness.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

The fullness hurts. A friend also told me to remove just enough to feel comfortable. Thanks *mommal.

If you hurt, definitely remove some milk! And try sticking some cold, cracked cabbage leaves in your bra to reduce engorgement. It really does work.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"

Awesome... ok. Thanks!

The cabbage leaves feel great! LO thought he would help mommy express today, he was touching my skin saying "booboob". He put his mouth on it, but nothing else. I guess he's just ready to be done with it. And I am ok with this. Thanks for all the info *mommal.

Yup, the cabbage leaves work like a charm at drying up your milk. If you put them in the freezer for 30 minutes or so and then crunch them up a little it really helps with the pain, too.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

Well, he nursed at bedtime last night. I am ok with this, because I was having the "down" symptom. It made me feel a lot better, and I didnt have to express. I dont know if it was a set back, but he hasnt asked for it this morning. I figure that if we only do a nighttime feeding, it will be easier.

Just do your best to stay patient and flexible. Weaning can be funny. I remember nursing my older daughter several times after I thought she had completely weaned. I think allowing her to nurse- even after a few weeks had passed since she had last done so- helped her to trust that I would meet her needs even as she transitioned away from needing the breast. And it was really minimal nursing- just a minute or two here and there.

I think that this way is best. I was so down last night, and I think he sensed that. It took him a minute, but he nursed and went to sleep after he stopped. He also nursed this afternoon for a few minutes, but didnt go to slep. Hes napping now, but I only had to rock him and pat his bottom. I think we will do just fine, and this will be a gradual weaning instead of abrupt. I assume he was on a nursing strike due to a severe sore throat and teething. Yay us!