Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 15 week old very fussy at the breast

Default 15 week old very fussy at the breast

So, all the sudden (the last few days or so), my DD is very fussy at the breast. She will nurse for 3-4 minutes and then become agitated: popping on and off, pushing her head into my breast and turning her face down, pushing against anything her feet can touch, etc. But then she immediately wants to latch back on. This can persist for awhile until she becomes frustrated and eventually begins to cry. Sometimes I can keep this at bay for a bit by switching breasts more frequently.

I have been worried about supply in the past since she has been a slower gainer, but I began taking Fenugreek not too long ago and my supply actually seems better than ever. I'm able to pump more than before, and she seems to be gaining well.

She did just get over a cold, but doesn't seem to have any other signs of an ear infection or anything like that. What could be causing this? Am I doing something wrong? She very rarely spits up and doesn't seem to be any more gassy than normal.

I've noticed she's also a lot more distractable while nursing, but would that contribute to the crying and fussing, too?

I hate to resort to giving her bottles, but I do want to be sure she is getting enough!

Default Re: 15 week old very fussy at the breast

I'd blame the distractibility. I think that sometimes a baby gets interested in something across the room, or her own toes, or whatever, pulls off the breast- and then is like "Hey, WTH just happened? Where's my milk? Waaaah!" But since your baby just had a cold, an ear infection could be causing the behavior. And it could also be a reaction to a change in flow- sometimes a baby will get cranky when the milk isn't coming out at her preferred speed.

I think the way you deal with this is first to keep a careful eye on diaper output. If that's normal, no need for bottles or excessive worry. And if it's normal but baby gets increasingly fussy, then you see the doctor and have someone take a peak in her ears.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

This is what i have had happen twice now since sunday. its only been around certain time of day though [4-5pm], when i know my milk supply is at a low point for the day. i think for my DD its either teething related and/or the speed of the flow as the other poster said. mine kept popping on and off anc crying and getting upset, and she never elicited a let down...ugh!

Thanks for the replies. It's been so weird. I actually think that the boost in my supply caused by the Fenugreek made her fussier. I think she is used to comfort nursing and gets a bit angry when she is still getting milk after she's full. She has also started popping on and off to smile and look at me a lot, and often drools milk all over the place in the process. I could be frustrated, but honestly those smiles are just so darn cute!