Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Cosleeping advice needed!

Default Cosleeping advice needed!

Here's the situation:

We've been co-sleeping with our 14-months old for a while and it has worked very well for us. However, she has now become very large and rolls around like a jolly rolling pin, kicking and bumping into us. Worst part is that it wakes us all: upon encountering an obstacle (me or hubby) she wakes up with a startle and starts to cry.

Whenever the hubby decamps to the living room couch, she sleeps much better. She doesn't actually like being close to me, so after nursing she usually rolls as far away as possible and proceeds to sleep there turning and tossing and only occasionally (x3 a night) waking up to nurse. That works for me, but I'm absolutely unwilling to kick my husband out of our bed for an undetermined amount of time. He is so tired, he has started talking about night-weaning, but I'm not ready to do that: I work full-time and I'm pretty sure my supply would dry up if I don't nurse her at night. My goal is to breastfeed her till she is 2 years old.

I'm desperate for sleep, but not ready to night-wean.

Any advice?

Default Re: Cosleeping advice needed!

What about putting a mattress on the floor, nurse her to sleep and then get back up in your bed when she rolls away?
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

That's what I was going to suggest, too. Or even put her together a bed in her own room (I second the mattress on the floor idea here, too) with special sheets and a blanket that she likes and start nursing her to sleep in there and when she moves away, get up and go back to your room. If she really is more comfortable not touching you when she's sleeping she might take to it pretty easily.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommy2lilah View Post
    What about putting a mattress on the floor, nurse her to sleep and then get back up in your bed when she rolls away?
    Do you mean her crib mattress?

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*still.here View Post
    That's what I was going to suggest, too. Or even put her together a bed in her own room (I second the mattress on the floor idea here, too) with special sheets and a blanket that she likes and start nursing her to sleep in there and when she moves away, get up and go back to your room. If she really is more comfortable not touching you when she's sleeping she might take to it pretty easily.
    She still wakes up to nurse x3 times at night, I can't imagine having to hobble over to where she is, nursing her, then getting back up and going back to our bed.

You could put the crib mattress on the floor next to your bed. Or get a twin mattress. Or just make a pallet with blankets on the floor.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

Tracie, you got me thinking, thank you.... I have some ideas! But I guess this would entail baby-proofing the room a lot more methodically since she just might take off without me noticing...

Another alternative: if you have a convertible crib, you can simply remove the side and side-car the crib with your bed. (You may have to put your mattress on the floor to accomplish this safely, but it's totally worth it.) But it worked wonders for us! She can nurse, then roll into "her" bed, and when she wakes up, roll back over to you and nurse. Lets you and your hubby stay in bed, without worrying about your little girl rolling around the bedroom in the middle of the night!
    Breastfeeding, babywearing, sci-fi loving, total geek of a mom!

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind. — Dr. Seuss

Brilliant idea froggylogic!

We had a similar situation with our son, although he was younger (around 6 months) when it happened. He just moved around in bed so much that none of us could sleep. He sleeps better in his own crib and still wakes 1-2x per night to nurse. He's 13 months now and this is working well for us If you don't want to get up out of bed in the middle of the night though (which DOES sound appealing!) then the sidecar idea is a great one.
    First-time mama to Joshua, 10/29/11. 29 months and going strong! for 14 months; now finished with pump weaning!