Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Sore throat, not nursing...

Default Sore throat, not nursing...

So, my LO has a sore throat virus, I think its known as pharyngitis. He hasnt nursed since 7am yesterday. He says he wants "booboo", but then he just licks at it or plays with the end. Im debating on just weaning him completely since hes not nursing whatsoever at the moment. Im just concerned that it may be because he has a sore throat and he may want to return to it when he feels beter. Should I just go ahead and stop? Im okay with this... hes almost 21 months old. Also, I am wearing a sports bra and taking ibuprofen. How long will it take for the milk to dry up? He only nurses roughly 3 times per day.

Default Re: Sore throat, not nursing...

Also, he has a very poor appetite.

Whether or not you stop is a very personal decision and it's one every mom must make for herself. As you said, your LO may decide to nurse more when he's feeling better. But on the other hand, this might be a very easy time to wean. So...

How long it takes for your milk to dry up is also very individual, and depends on how much milk supply you have when you stop nursing. If you have a lot of milk, you probably don't want to stop abruptly because you could get engorged or come down with a plugged duct or mastitis. Weaning happens best when it happens slow, so don't be afraid to express some milk if you're feeling overfull or engorged.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

It wasnt until this morning I felt the tenderness. I've always got clogged ducts before, so I may have to express. OAN: He seems content without the "booboo". Hasnt even asked for it since we got up.