Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 2 week old Breastfeeding

Default 2 week old Breastfeeding

Last night my 11 day old daughter really didn't sleep she just laid in bed with sucking on the beast. I know she must be exhausted. We got up around 7 and she stayed on the breast until 9. She was unhappy off the breast and fussy on the breast. Any suggestions how I can calm her down and is this "normal".

Default Re: 2 week old Breastfeeding

Welcome to the forum and congrats on the new baby!

What you describe is to be expected from time to time with a newborn. It can take a baby time to get into the rhythm of day and night, and often new babies will have their days and nights mixed up- that is, they will nurse and be awake all night, and then spend all day sleeping. If this is a persistent problem rather than a one-time event, then there are things you can do about it, like encouraging more daytime wakefulness and avoiding having artificial light (including television) on in the evening and at night.

Fussiness is also normal for a new baby, especially during growth spurts. Best way to calm a baby down is almost always to simply nurse, nurse, nurse, nurse, nurse. If that isn't working, try the following:
    - offer her a pinky finger to suck (nail held down towards the tongue rather than up towards the delicate palate)
    - take her outside
    - give her a bath
    - white noise (radio static, dryer noise)
    - motion (rock in a rocker, stroll in a stroller, swing, bounce on exercise ball, etc.)
    - closeness (snuggle her close in a sling or keep her skin to skin)

How is nursing going aside from your rough night last night?
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Its tough so far. My baby sometimes wants to nurse for hours on end. She doesn't seem to have a full button. Her Dr says that's a long time for her to nurse that its tiring for her and my self. She has put on 4oz in a week and I am not sure if that is enough weight. She goes back to the Dr on Monday for another weigh in. She's seems as is she is always hungry.

You're looking for baby to regain her birth weight by 2 weeks. After 2 weeks and until 4 months, you'll be looking for baby to gain about 5-7 oz per week, though some babies may average 4-5 oz per week (reference: http://kellymom.com/bf/normal/weight-gain/). So 4 oz in a week for a baby who is not yet 2 weeks old- not bad!

Nursing for hours on end is very typical with a newborn baby. When your doc says that nursing for a long time is tiring for you and baby, do you think that's a not-so-subtle hint that he'd like you to nurse less and supplement with formula? Because that's something that happens to a lot of moms- their docs start giving them little nudges and before you know it the supplemental bottles have entered the picture. I wish more docs would realize that they could tell moms to see a lactation consultant when nursing isn't going smoothy or when weight gain is a concern! That's what my kid's pediatrician recommended when we had problems.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"