Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Help!! I can't get my baby to breastfeed

Default Help!! I can't get my baby to breastfeed

Hello,
    I am becoming desperate. I had to stop breastfeeding my baby completely on October 30 due to a horrible abscess and numerous drugs and antibiotics that I was warned weren't completely safe for my baby. She was born on September 7th. I got off of the drugs completely by November 17th and attempted to go back to breastfeeding, but to my despair my baby wouldn't take the breast and became angry. I have been trying to go back to breastfeeding but I can't seem to get her to want to take it. I have tried to re-birth once, and everyday in the evenings when I get home from work, I try to breastfeed her by swaddling her, and walking around with her in the cradle position trying to get her to latch on. We bounce and sway back n forth in order to keep her calm. I can't just sit on the couch and attempt because she will become a screaming mess. I am using a nipple shield only because she has at least kinda attempted to suck a couple times from it. She will never suck if it is just my naked breast. I am very depressed about the situation, and have an adequate milk supply that I have kept up by pumping the whole time I was sick, and throwing out the milk. I had so much milk saved up before I became sick that I was able to feed her frozen breast milk the whole time, and even now she still gets pumped breast milk from a bottle since she won't breast feed. If anyone has any ideas or can give me any tips or advice, I would greatly appreciate it, as this breaks my heart.

Default Re: Help!! I can't get my baby to breastfeed

Wow, you have really been through it! So sorry. Amazing you kept up your production and were able to give your baby your milk while you were ill. That is incredible.

First off, I hope you are completely healed now.

OK, you mentioned rebirthing but what else have you tried? There are lots of ideas here: http://kellymom.com/bf/concerns/child/back-to-breast/

When dealing with breast refusal it often happens moms feel rejected. Try to push such thoughts away. Your baby is NOT rejecting you. Baby loves and needs you. Baby has simply learned that comfort for his hunger comes from the bottle. So this is a period of teaching baby that ALL comfort comes from you!

I think techniques that key into a baby’s instincts help. So, having baby near the breast when baby is tired, asleep, just waking, etc. NOT only when baby is hungry. Comfort nursing often comes first. so, bring baby to the breast before baby is hungry or cueing or at the very earliest cues. If baby is hungry, give him a little milk, maybe in a syringe or something besides the bottle, and when he is calm, try again.

Work-I assume baby is being bottle fed when you are ay work. Brining a baby back to the breast after breast refusal is often a process that can take some time, so daily bottles may interfere with the progress you make at home. Is there any way you can take some time off or limit your hours right now? If not, what about baby’s caregiver bringing baby to you, or using an alternative feeding method? If that is not possible, at least use paced bottle feeding for all bottles. This puts baby in control of the flow when bottle feeding and helps prevent ‘flow’ confusion. ALL nipples may flow to fast if this technique is not used. http://www.llli.org/docs/00000000000...astfedbaby.pdf

Any interest baby takes in the breast is a step forward. Much older babies have successfully been brought back to the breast after much longer periods of time. You have kept up your milk production which is huge.
    Last edited by @llli*lllmeg; December 3rd, 2012 at 10:27 PM.