Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Evening milk insufficient?

Default Evening milk insufficient?

Hello! I have a 6 month old who is a great eater and we've really not had any issues so far, for which I am thankful. The last two weeks,however,have me a boy concerned. He usually nurses one last time before he goes to bed around 7:30. The last few weeks he bobs on and off and cries. I try to keep encouraging him, but he screams after the first few minutes. Last week we started offering him a bottle of thawed milk from our freezer and he chugged it down, which leads me to believe that my letdown wasn't quick enough and my sweet boy was impatient and I'm not producing enough at that mealtime. I've been pumping right after he goes to bed to try and stimulate more production but I've not seen any change. Anyone have any ideas or experience this?

Default Re: Evening milk insufficient?

How often does baby get bottles? Does he get them a lot during the day? Or is it just this one evening bottle?

Also, any changes in his health? Has he been sick, congested, has he had an ear infection?

Is he teething?
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I work about 5.5 hours two days a week, so the days I work he gets one bottle, sometimes, he ends up getting two if he acts hungry before I get home, but most often my work days are short enough for me to only miss one feeding.

Up until the last two weeks, he only got a bottle the days I worked, and maybe once every couple of weeks for a datenight with my husband.

It took us forever to find a bottle he liked, he was quite picky.

no fever, no teeth, no solids...

See, if he was getting tons and tons of bottles, like if you were working full-time, then I'd think it was bottle preference. But you're mostly home and even on the days when you're working he's not getting a lot of bottles. Nevertheless, I am wondering if maybe he's developing a little bit of bottle preference, just at this one difficult time of day.

Maybe taking him into a dark bedroom or a warm bath when it's time for that pre-bedtime nursing session would help? If he was relaxed and more patient, and you were relaxed... Maybe the milk would flow a little faster?
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"