Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: sleep aids

Default sleep aids

i've recently developed an insane case of insomnia and it is driving me crazy. i'm certain that it's all psychological because i used to be a great sleeper and ever since i had one or two bad nights of sleep i've now convinced myself that i won't be able to fall asleep....and then of course this becomes a self fulfilling prophecy. are there any sleep aids that i can take that are safe for DD? someone mentioned that unisom was recommended to her during pregnancy but is it safe for breastfed babies? if not, are there other herbs/medicine that you would recommend?

Default Re: sleep aids

for information on specific meds, you can get lactation related safety ratings by calling the folks here www.infantrisk.com

But I also suggest you discuss your insomnia with your hcp.

One thing you might want to try is deep breathing. If you have an iPad or iPhone or maybe other brands of smartphones/tablets, there's this app called "Breathing Zone" which can really help you get into the sleepy mindset.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

thanks. i was reading older posts on this site and it doesn't seem like there's any good med to take. so annoying!!!!

Have you tried chamomile tea? It always makes me pee, so sometimes I sleep less from getting up so much! It is breastfeeding-safe from what I've read. Some people even think what's left in your breastmilk can help calm babies and help them sleep. I haven't taken it since my baby was born because I was afraid I'd be too sleepy. It's hard to have something that knocks you out when you have a baby waking up. But if you're hurting, something gentle like the tea, or yoga, meditation, or self-hypnosis (Glenn Harrold is good) might help.
    Mom to my sweet little "Pooper," born 10/12/11, and "Baby Brother," born 6/23/2014, and married to heavy metal husband. Working more than full-time, making healthy vegetarian meals for family, and trying to keep up with exercise routine.

Have you tried white noise? It is supposed to help babies sleep better but I swear it helps me knock out like a charm too! No medicine involved! I use Dr Karp's white noise cd, the 'rain on the roof track' and play it all night.

When I had pregnancy induced insomnia I listened to books on tape. The Brothers Karamazov was engaging enough to distract me from worry, but boring enough not to keep me awake. I find that if I can get my mind off "I'm not asleep, I'm not going to sleep" I can then fall asleep.

I don't know if this would help true insomnia, but the Hypnobabies CDs I listened to while pregnant always put me STRAIGHT to sleep.