Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Painful burning sensation after feed

Default Re: Painful burning sensation after feed

Have you done research on vasospams/nipple blanching? I looked into this thinking that my symptoms matched. The pains did seem to subside faster when I tried the suggestions. In my case I think the blanching was due to the bleb because the pain stopped once I resolved that issue.

Just wanted to update this thread. After twice being told by the doctors that it was not thrush but mastitis, it turns out it is thrush. I think it started out as ductal thrush hence why I wasn't getting typical symptoms but has since turned into obvious thrush with burning pain in both nipples during a feed (ouch!). I'm on fluconazole to clear it.
    Incidentally, I did read that thrush infections can be an underlying cause for repeat mastitis infections, and I did have another bout of mastitis after completing the antibiotics. It makes sense to me that the two are linked. I'm just frustrated that two doctors dismissed my suggestion of thrush and I've been in continued pain for a month because of it, which is a shame because if it wasn't for that I would really be enjoying breast feeding right now.

Thanks for the update! So sorry your docs were dismissive of your correct diagnosis. I hope the Fluconazole finishes it off! Is the baby being treated while you are? If he's not, he should be. Otherwise he'll just reinfect you after your treatment is over. Don't let someone brush you off just because they don't see the classic white patches in his mouth; it's common for one member of the nursing pair to be asymptomatic though both are infected.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*msc39lxm View Post
    Just wanted to update this thread. After twice being told by the doctors that it was not thrush but mastitis, it turns out it is thrush. I think it started out as ductal thrush hence why I wasn't getting typical symptoms but has since turned into obvious thrush with burning pain in both nipples during a feed (ouch!). I'm on fluconazole to clear it.
    Incidentally, I did read that thrush infections can be an underlying cause for repeat mastitis infections, and I did have another bout of mastitis after completing the antibiotics. It makes sense to me that the two are linked. I'm just frustrated that two doctors dismissed my suggestion of thrush and I've been in continued pain for a month because of it, which is a shame because if it wasn't for that I would really be enjoying breast feeding right now.
    Thanks for updating!!! I hope the fluconazole clears it up for you and you will be pain-free soon!!!

I know you listed your symptoms in your initial post... but I'm trying to see if we have the exact same problem. You mentioned that it doesn't happen all the time... I will get this pain every morning (after 10 hours of no breastfeeding), when i'm not engorged, but "full". I tend not to get it for the rest of the day (or at least MUCH less painful). Did you experience this too?

Thank so much for your help!! It's been over two months of pain, so I'm desperate for an answer.

Hello All,

I am facing similar problems from last 1 month. It started with severe pain in nipples while feeding. I noticed a white area on the nipple on my right breast and identified it as milk blister. I did salt water soak and warm compress for some days and it cured, recurred and cured. It lasted for a month. Meanwhile there were days in which I got up with my breast engorged, hot and with small lumps. After feeding I used to feel better and heat compress removed the lumps. I had shooting pain when the breast used to get fuller. I had mild fever for a day or two which was cured by paracetamol. Once the blister was cured, I thought its gone, but I still had pain while feeding and after feeding and I noticed there are small lumps formed on the areola and it stands out soon after feeding and subsides after sometime. Pain on nipple is occasional mostly when I get up in the morning with full breast. But I have burning pain after each feed which last for half an hour to one hour. I have very rarely mild pain on left breast too when the breast fills up. I consulted GP, she said its a bacterial infection gave me a dose of antibiotics. Today I am finishing the course, still with pain . Do anyone know what this could be. I dont see any white on my baby's mouth except for milk soon after feeding and no nappy rash. If anybody here had similar issues, please help me...I wish to feel better

Thank you in Advance...

Welcome to the forum!

Burning pain after nursing makes me think of 3 things:
    1. Bacterial infection (a.k.a. mastitis)
    2. Yeast infection (a.k.a. thrush)
    3. Vasospasm http://kellymom.com/bf/concerns/moth...ple-blanching/

Now, we can probably rule out bacterial infection that this point because you just finished a course of antibiotics. But it does sound like your doc made a good diagnosis. The mild fever you had combined with the hot, engorged breast and shooting pain definitely sounds like mastitis. That leaves us with thrush or vasospasm. Both are excellent possibilities and cannot be ruled out/in based on what you have posted. So at this point I would do 2 things:
    1. Check out the vasospasm link posted above and see if you have matching symptoms. Blanching of the nipple skin, pain that intensifies in cold conditions, and pain that improves when treated with heat, would be excellent indications that you're having vasospasms.
    2. Do all the low-impact yeast treatments and see if they make a difference. These would be things like air-drying your nips after nursing, changing bras, towels, and shirts daily and washing them on hot, and reducing simple starches and sugars in your diet. You may also want to try using APNO: http://www.nbci.ca/index.php?option=...apno&Itemid=17. If APNO helps, it's a good indication that yeast is to blame and you should treat yourself and also treat the baby.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Thanks a lot for the reply.

I read the Vasospasm thread. I am not sure if I am having it though.
    I would keep a watch on the nipple after feed to see if it matches.

I would also try the low impact treatments for yeast. As I am in UK, I am not sure if I can get APNO here, will definitely try in the pharmacy.

Thanks again for the reply. I will post back how it goes.