I've been EBF my 3.5 month DD and I've just started experiencing painful burning sensations after a feed. I was wondering if anyone had any idea what I was experiencing or a remedy. Here are my symptoms:
* Painful burning sensation / shooting pains deep in the breast tissue (not the nipple - that is fine). It almost feels like my breasts are on fire! It starts about 10 minutes after a feed and continues for about 1-2 hours.
* It doesn't happen all the time. Its happened after 3 feeds in the past week. Sometimes I've had more mild versions of the pain during other points in the week.
* I'm not experiencing any pain during the feed and my nipples seem ok. In fact, a feed seems to relieve some of the pain.
* Cold compresses help relieve the pain too.
* The pain has mainly been in my left breast, but I've had milder pains in my right too.
* I've had recurrent bouts of mastitis but this pain is very different - and I don't have mastitis at the moment (just thought I would mention it).
* DD is still feeding ok, gaining weight ok and showing no signs of fussing at the breast. She isn't showing any symptoms of thrush either (which I considered as a possible cause, but I've read that thrush makes a feed itself painful, and mine aren't).
Anyone have any ideas what this could be?