Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: RSV and nursing - HELP!

Default RSV and nursing - HELP!

My 6 mo old DD was admitted into the hospital Tuesday for RSV. She had gotten sick last Thursday and is barely eating. We got discharged from the hospital today and I cannot get her to eat more than a few minutes on one side. I can tell my great supply is tanking. I pump after every feeding but it's not much, diapers aren't that wet either. I take DD for a follow up Monday
    Addison Nicole changed my world on June 21, 2011
    12:33 pm
    7 lb 4 oz
    19"

EBF 11.5 months!

Sadie Lynn completed our family on August 7, 2013
    12:46 pm
    8 lb (even)

20.5"

Default Re: RSV and nursing - HELP!

Poor baby!!! And poor mama, too. Keep an eye on her diapers and nurse as much as possible. Don't worry too much about supply- nursing on demand should be all it takes to maintain or increase it. But if you can pump on top of nursing, yahtzee. Don't worry too much about how much you get; the stimulation still counts.

What sort of pump are you using? And do you have to go back to work, or are you home with her?
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I agree your milk production should rebound as baby starts feeling better and starts nursing more often and for longer. But if you really feel that your milk production is not what it should be, have you considered galactagogues?
    Also remember that as baby gets older milk production starts feeling less and less obvious to mother. Also as baby gets older nursing sessions tend to get shorter that's just normal. Gently encouraging more frequent nursing can help if baby is not interested in nursing for very long.

I'm a SAHM, I also have a medela pump in style advance. DD sleeps allot so I offer whenever she's awake. The in law's felt they were OK to come in town unannounced and that's keeping me more stressed especially after the week we've been through. My husband won't tell them this isn't a good time or anything, they don't even know we have alcohol in the house, that's just how little he will stand up to them. I do continue to pump after she nurses though and she's always been a very quick nurser. From birth she's always been 3-5 minutes on each side and since we've been sick, it's been 2-3 minutes on one side.
    Addison Nicole changed my world on June 21, 2011
    12:33 pm
    7 lb 4 oz
    19"

EBF 11.5 months!

Sadie Lynn completed our family on August 7, 2013
    12:46 pm
    8 lb (even)

20.5"