Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Healing bite on nipple? And how to stop biting?

Default Healing bite on nipple? And how to stop biting?

My 7 month old bit my nipple so hard that I now have a cut from the base of my nipple (where it meets my breast) to the tip of my nipple. Needless to say, I'm in a lot of pain and worried about how to safely get it to heal quickly. Last time he bit me (and it was no where near as bad as this time), my entire boob hurt for a few days while it healed.

Also, my son and his 6 teeth tend to bite a lot. This time was the worst it's been. I've tried things to deter his biting (giving him a toy to play with, stopping the nursing session when he bites, reprimanding him by sternly saying "no") but nothing seems to work. I'm at a loss. My oldest son never did this (he bit and pulled a few times, but never that hard or often), so I don't know what to do. I'm ready to give up nursing all together!! Please please please offer any and all advice you may have for me to get over this bump in the road so we can continue to breastfeed. Thanks...

Default Re: Healing bite on nipple? And how to stop biting?

Hi there. I feel your pain, quite literally! I recently healed from not just one bite but a series of biting incidents which were almost more like teeth cutting during my DS pre-molar's coming in. It was so painful and what finally did it was using lots and lots of coconut oil, after every single session, and just keeping the area moist. It did start to get infected, but never turned into thrush. I talked to a doctor informally and she told me the constant washing with soap and water was only serving to dry the area out too much and then the wound was reopening each time he nursed or I pumped. So she said to always moisturize with the coconut oil after washing. It lasted 3 weeks
    We , , , and with my little monkey, born 9/30/2012.

I am so sorry that you have been bitten! It's really no fun. My daughter would chomp on me regularly when she was very tiny and I spent 2 months with cuts and blood. I used olive oil regularly to moisturize and sooth the chewed-upon area. I also used a nipple cream by Motherlove (http://www.motherlove.com/product/10...ple-Cream.html). It is pricey but SO soothing; it made it comfortable enough for me to keep trying to nurse my twins on that side. That particular cream (it's really an ointment) made a world of difference to me and I still use it today on random scrapes and abrasions on me and my kiddos. We all love it.
    Mom to amazing twins!
    DD nursed for 3y5m, DS still occasionally stops by for a snack

I have not had the chance to try this for myself yet, but I have read that if baby bites while nursing, pull his head in toward you. Your breast will cover his nose and he will open his mouth (and release the bite) to breathe. Hopefully he will learn not to after a few uncomfortable attempts at biting.

While I haven't been bitten, I did have a split nipple for the first few months of nursing my baby. The only thing that healed it was lansinoh soothies hydrogel pads on it 24/7. Only that brand too, the others didn't work. Within 2 weeks I was completely healed, whereas before that time almost nothing healed it.

Mother Love cream is excellent! Very soothing & natural...it's all I use now. For the biting - not everyone will agree with this, but you said to offer any suggestions, so - I flicked my DD's cheek when she bit me. There were a couple times when she did little bites & I flicked her cheek for those. It upset her a little but she never bit me hard & I think that's why. I tried other things but they weren't effective. Sometimes they need to feel pain to get it. & she is in no way scarred for life... she nursed happily for 21 mos & is a very well adjusted 2 year old