Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Sudden Issue with Flow

Default Sudden Issue with Flow

My two week old has been latching and nursing wonderfully. Last night, my left nipple would become hard and would not release milk. It would eventually let down only to seize back up after baby latched on and sucked for a few seconds. I would give him a break and the nipple would soften back up and release milk more easily. Now both nipples are doing this. The nipple will be longer but not releasing milk once he unlatches. It is taking forever to breastfeed. I don't know what's wrong.

Default Re: Sudden Issue with Flow

Welcome to the forum! Did you notice a color change in the nipple skin when this was happening? Like maybe the tip of the nipple turning white before returning to a normal color, or maybe turning white, then bluish-purple, and then normal?

Also, how did nursing feel when all this was going on? Was it painful? In general, has nursing been okay or has it been painful?
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I have noticed the tip of the nipple will turn white in places. Nursing has not been painful, but maybe he isn't latching on correctly? My left breast is larger and more full and it was the first one I started having this problem with. When I unlatch him and pull my nipple out of his mouth it is unusually elongated.

Huh. This has me stumped. Are you pumping as well by any chance? Does your breast feel hard, full, or engorged anywhere else? How often is baby nursing overall?

I'm thinking this could be vasospasm: http://kellymom.com/bf/concerns/moth...ple-blanching/
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"