Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 11 weeks still having latch issues

Default 11 weeks still having latch issues

Okay, my DS is 11 weeks old today and we're still having latch issues that make it sometimes feel like we just got home from the hospital all over again. I know it's possible for him to latch correctly and nurse without pain because he's done it once or twice. The rest of the time is am always "aware" that he's on there and just deal with it but I don't want him to get used to nursing the wrong way (I hope it's not too late already). When the pain gets real bad I take him off and try again hoping that he will open his mouth wide enough for me to get enough in. No matter how hard I try, I can't seem to get him to take in more than just the nipple, or if he does get a good deep latch, he gags and pulls back to mostly just nipple before continuing.

I have very large and somewhat saggy breasts so we've always used the football hold but it's getting harder because he's getting so long. I also have large nipples and I don't know if this is part if the problem or not. My nipple usually has a horizontal crease across it when he finishes and I also suffer with vasospasms alot of the time.

He does take a pacifier but only wants it to fall asleep and then spits it out. He has had 3 bottles over the past 2 weeks (I suffer from ppd and am trying to get out of the house a little by myself) but definitely prefers the breast.

I have talked to LC a few times but can't seem to get the help I need.
    Is it too late to fix this problem? Does anyone have any suggestions?

Default Re: 11 weeks still having latch issues

Definitely not too late to fix this problem. If you're able to nurse, and not suffering from cracks/blisters at this point, I think you're probably looking at the sort of issue that will eventually fix itself as the baby's mouth grows.

Large nipples can sometimes cause problems because they can make it difficult for the baby to take a big enough "bite" of breast. A big bite of breast helps the nipple land in the ideal spot on the back of the tongue, under the soft palate. When the nipple is too shallow in the mouth, sitting on the front of the tongue underneath the hard palate, it can get compressed and hurt as the baby sucks. Compression will cause the ridge/crease you're seeing, and also the vasospasms. There's a lot more motion on the front of the tongue than on the back- try sucking on your finger and you'll see why this is true. Put the finger on the front of your tongue, and it will experience a lot of motion and compression, but put it on the back of your tongue, almost down to your throat, and the fingertip will experience only gentle motion.

Again, time will probably fix this problem. But why wait? It sounds like you've mostly talked to the LC...? If so, hands-on help might be really helpful. You might want to discuss something called the "sandwich technique". With the sandwich technique, you compress the breast as you latch the baby on, forming a flatter profile that crams more breast into the baby's tiny mouth. It's like taking a big bite of a tall sandwich- the more you flatten the sandwich, the more you can fit into your mouth.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Default Re: 11 weeks still having latch issues

Thank you so much for your response! I'm going to try that technique at our next feeding! It's definitely tolerable at this point...just didn't want to create a bad habit!