Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: How can I continue to live like this?

Default How can I continue to live like this?

My DS is 9 weeks old and a terrible nurser. He recently had a posterior tongue and upper lip tie released, but is still terribly inefficient. He often nurses for over an hour and is still not satisfied. I have been pumping and offering him 1 oz EBM supplement via SNS at every other feed. I wake him every 2 hours during the day to feed and 4 hours at night. Between nursing, pumping and supplementing I have hardly any time to do anything else, like eat, shower, sleep, leave the house, etc. His weight gain is slow and I think we're going to have to increase his supplements which will likely need to be formula because I don't have enough pumped milk to keep up. I feel like I am missing so much of this special time with him while he is little because he is often on his playmat or with my DH while I am pumping.

I'm not sure how much longer I can do this for.

Default Re: How can I continue to live like this?

I am sorry you are feeling overwhelmed. But the truth of the matter is that even if your were exclusively nursing, you'd be spending the same amount of time doing it. Women here who are NOT having to supplement OR pump are here with the same complaints. At that age I showered maybe twice a week. I ate when my DH cooked or brought home food. I spent most days in my pjs getting up to pee and change diapers. I'd try to eat. But if It couldn't be microwaved, I couldn't eat it. I think at 8 weeks I started trying to venture out of the house once a week. For a weekly mommy and me meeting. And that's all I could really manage until somewhere around 16weeks. When I learned to nap with baby. Learning to nap and not feeling overwhelmed by trying to get all my sleeping done at night made a difference. So did having a baby old enough to finally be able to master sidelye nursing. The"Special" about this time is that you are making his food. That you are working to regulate your supply or increase it so that you may feed him. The "Special" is about PRACTICING. As a nursing dyad. You aren't missing anything. This what we all do in the beginning. We feed around the clock. 10-12 times a day at least. But really, it was all day every day. I am pretty sure that I fed my kid 12-14times a day when you included all the night wakings. That's what it was. That's what it is. What you are doing sound totally normal and even if your baby was EBF this is how often he would need to eat. And he deserves your milk. So keep doing the work to give it to him. Because when he is healthier because of it this winter, you won't be sorry you did.

Way too lazy for formula

I don't know how long you can continue to live like you are, but I know how long I did it. 3 months. It took 3 months before I could get my baby off supplements and I could stop pumping every 2-3 hours round the clock.

Please don't fret about "missing" your baby's infancy. He's not going to remember this, and if you have to "miss" a part of babyhood, this is the part to miss.

You're really not alone. Even the mommies who have an easy trip through new motherhood are skipping showers and haircuts and toothbrushing, and their houses are a wreck even though they never leave them.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Thanks for the replies ladies! <3

I was having a down day yesterday, but am feeling a lot better today. I just wish this was easier, but I guess this is what we all signed up for. And it will totally be worth it in the end. I do want to provide the best for my little guy.

Yeah Nothing about motherhood is easy. Not pregnancy, not giving birth, not breastfeeding, NOT having a toddler that can say no all day and have tantrums and I have heard teenagers aren't that sweet either. So settle in Mama. The ride is long. But this too, like everything else, shall pass.

Way too lazy for formula