Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: LO Only Eats While Sleeping

Question LO Only Eats While Sleeping

My LO is almost 6 months. weighed 17 lbs a few weeks ago. plenty of wets & dirties. I have OALD. Most dirty diapters are green or dark green.

For the past couple of months my LO will only nurse while he is sleeping. If he is awake, he soon falls asleep and sleeps through the rest of his nursing. He's only staying on 7 mins or so on each side before coming off.

It's inconvenient. I have to put him to sleep before he'll nurse. It started b/c he would get distracted, so i'd sit with him is his room with the light off. He'd fall asleep at the breast and then start nursing on his own. He's happy & active when he's awake. Naps well during the day and sleeps 5-7hrs at night.

My concern: I'd like to start introducing some solids in a couple of weeks. I read that I should try nursing before or after a "meal." How do I do that if he sleeps through his nursing session? Is there any reason why I shouldn't allow my LO to nurse while sleeping?

Default Re: LO Only Eats While Sleeping

Hey Mama! I read that too, but usually I end up nursing, waiting an hour and then offering some solids. Until the 1 yr mark, solid foods are really just for exploration, experimentation and fun! Breast milk should remain his #1 source or nutrition. As long as you aren't replacing any feedings with BM, then I would fit them in when it's convenient for you both!! I would let him nurse like normal, whether it is asleep or not, and then slowly introduce a little food, usually a new food every 3 or 4 days to check for allergies.

I think the reason people say to nurse before offering solids is that many moms get over excited and replace nursing sessions with solids, and that's not a good idea since milk has more calories and your immunities! As long as you keep the nursing sessions the same, you can offer solids whenever But that's only IMO, I'm sure other mamas will weigh in here. That's just what works for me and DD!

Thanks for the reply blueberrysmom.

I also have high lipase & I'm also concerned about my milk supply. I've only been pumping twice at work and getting about 15-18oz. Pumped 3 times today and only got 12oz total. LO is a reverse cycler I think. He takes 6-8 oz in a 10-12 hr period at the sitter's. I've been making much more milk than he's needed. I think I'm making "enough" but would feel more comfortable if I were making more milk. I really want to breastfeed until he's at least 1yr. I'm worried my milk supply won't keep up.

I normally nurse at 12am, 6am, 7pm, 10pm sometimes. He's had 4 wets & 3 dirty diapers today. He took 2 1hr naps and a 2.5 hr nap at the sitter's today. He was there 9.5 hrs and took 8oz.

I know I should pump/ nurse more often and possibly take a nursing vacation to get my milk supply up, but do I really need to? I'm making less milk than I was a couple of weeks ago, but he seems happy & healthy.

You only nurse 3 times in a 24hour period and only pump 2-3 more times? Yeah that is not enough. Although 15-18oz pumped in 2 sessions is a ridiculous amount, you can NOT expect to maintain anything close to a a real supply if you are truly only stimulating your breasts 5-6 times a day. Is that true? You aren't nursing more while together? On your off days?

Way too lazy for formula

Yea, I agree with DJs mom. I would try to stick in an extra pumping session because only 5-6 times is on the low end. 8 would be an ideal minimum, but depending how your work schedule is, then I would wake up in the night time between 12 and 6 and pump. I mean, going from 6 am to 7 pm with just 2 pumps... I mean WOW, I'm surprised you aren't super full

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*blueberrysmom View Post
    Yea, I agree with DJs mom. I would try to stick in an extra pumping session because only 5-6 times is on the low end. 8 would be an ideal minimum, but depending how your work schedule is, then I would wake up in the night time between 12 and 6 and pump. I mean, going from 6 am to 7 pm with just 2 pumps... I mean WOW, I'm surprised you aren't super full
    Or completely DRY. 8 is the MINIMUM amount of times in 24 hour period. Not an ideal. 10-12 times in a 24hour period is ideal and WAY more normal.

Way too lazy for formula

Yeah. Now that I look at this number of nursings/ pumping sessions. That doesn't seem like enough. On my days off, he sometimes go 4-6 hrs between nursings. I'm trying to do "on demand" feedings, but once it's been 3 hrs b/w feedings, I try to offer the breast to him, but rejects it. I've been nursing every 3-3.5hrs at work the past 2 days. I don't feel full at all. I nursed at 7pm and again at 10:30.

I gues I should pump after nursing so that I try to drain both sides? I haven't tracked his feedings when we're at home. i'll start that again this weekend to see how things are going.

Thanks for everyone's help!

Is he eating something BESIDES your milk???

Way too lazy for formula

He's strictly breastmilk.. He has started teething. No teeth yet. Maybe that's why he's not nursing very often or for very long??

I started my cycle yesterday for the 1st time since having him. Could that affect my milk supply?

He should still have 10-12 feedings at 6 months?? He'll be 6 months in 2 days.

That is IDEAL. But 8 is the MINIMUM needed to maintain supply. So I would work to add in at least 2 sessions a day. One day and one night. 6hours unless that is a sleeping stretch and ONLY ONE DAY, is REALLY LONG to go without eating @ 6 months.

Way too lazy for formula