Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Congested DD - how do I prevent dehydration?

Default Congested DD - how do I prevent dehydration?

Hey all!

DD has a cold and is teething and naturally she is stuffed up. We have been sucking out her nose as often as we can (sometimes nothing comes out) as well as running a humidifier in her room. I feel terrible because the nose thing makes her cry so hard, but what else can I do? She needs to breathe!

SO - my question is that I'm worried she's not getting enough fluids, so is it okay for her to have juice or water? She's not really demanding to nurse, so I try every 2 hours but the session is very quick and involves a lot of switching. She is nursing like a champ at night (since the humidifier is in her room) so her diapers at night and first thing in the morning are great, but the rest of the day, they are pretty light. I have been pumping after her 3 minute feedings during the day so that my supply doesn't quit on me, but I don't get very much (I suck at pumping!!!) but even what I get she won't take from her sippy cup - she is very confused by mommy milk in a cup right now lol

I know we're not supposed to do a lot of juice or water, but is it okay since she is sick? I gave her the sippy cup at dinner and she sucked down a bunch. I don't want her to get dehydrated. What should I look for besides the low diaper count?

Thanks for the help!

Default Re: Congested DD - how do I prevent dehydration?

How old is she now? In general, I'd just nurse, nurse, nurse, nurse- and skip the juice/water. As long as her diapers stay adequate, there should be no need for additional fluids and you don't want baby to figure out that she can skip the difficult nursing sessions if she just drinks enough juice from her sippy. Breastmilk is better for her than juice or water because it has immunities.

Signs of dehydration- you can probably look them up and find a complete list but I think the most important thing to be on the lookout for is a baby who is lethargic and not peeing.
    Last edited by @llli*mommal; December 2nd, 2012 at 08:13 PM.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

She's 9.5m - this is the first time she's really been sick (happy to say we made it this long!) The reason I've been waiting the 2 hours is because she seems to get really angry and twists away (she even says "Ahl duh" like all done lol) when I try any sooner. I know that since she is sick, like adults, she'll want to eat less. That's why I've been pumping, and my supply seems to be doing just fine. But if she's not peeing enough, then I worry about just getting fluids into her in general. I totally agree with you that I don't want her to get used to the ease of the sippy, but nursing is like super duper hard with her nose all plugged up

If you really cannot get her to nurse, at all, for a long time, since you have it pumped aleady, what about expressed breast milk in the sippy cup? Or simply in an eye dropper or syrynge? I would definitely steer clear of juice or water entirely.

This article is for general breast refusal but even a sick baby often CAN nurse, at least breifly, if often gently encouraged. Try in sleep or as baby is tryign to get to sleep, or instant reward techniques. http://kellymom.com/bf/concerns/child/back-to-breast/

this article has signs of dehydration listed as well as good info for when baby is sick: http://kellymom.com/bf/can-i-breastf.../baby-illness/

Thank you thank you! DD seeming a little less plugged today, but still nursing in short sessions. I'll try your suggestions

For the congestion, have you tried putting a few drops of breast milk in her nose? I have done this using an eyedropper or syringe. It opened up her nose long enough for her to nurse. I hope she feels better soon!

Yanno, I read about the BM in the nose thing. Does that really work?! What about BM helps the congestion?

DD was a little better today, less mucusy and her diapers were pretty good. I tried giving her pumped milk in her sippy and she didn't drink any of it. Like I said, I think she gets confused and doesn't know why Mama milk is in her juice cup lol I should try her tylenol syringe to see if she'll take it that way if she's still all plugged up tomorrow.

I forgot to ask before: If I am also sick, is it okay that she's eating from me? If she's sick and I'm sick, do the antibodies from me work less? lol sorry if that's a dumb question...

O no, it's quite the opposite. It's when u r sick that your milk produce that SPECIFIC anti-bodies for it! So go ahead and nurse more! Though its probably not fun when u're sick. Hang in there!

Okay thanks

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*blueberrysmom View Post
    I read about the BM in the nose thing. Does that really work?! What about BM helps the congestion?
    It's the best thing I've found!! I have no idea why it works but it does.