Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mucous in stool Help!

Default Re: Mucous in stool Help!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommal View Post
    Still.here's experience was really outside the norm for bloody stool babies.
    It really was.

Unless you're seeing other problems, like weight issues or abnormal development or your mommy radar is just really going off telling you there is something wrong, I don't know that it would be helpful to go to a GI for just mucousy/bloody stools. Because it's very likely that unless you get a particularly breastfeeding friendly one they are going to tell you to try formula and see if that fixes it. The first GI my pediatrician talked to didn't even want to see my son. She just told the ped over the phone to tell me to switch to formula.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

Thanks. It's really helpful to know that I'm not seriously harming my child by choosing to breastfeed him. At this point, since its not bright red and it isn't a diaper-full, and he is pretty happy (just a bit gassy), I'm not in panic mode. My bigger fear is the doctor's reaction honestly. I know it's ultimately my decision whether or not to switch to formula, but there's something about a doctor telling you that it is what I "need" to do that makes it hard to trust myself. I think I'll feel better after his two month appointment if everything else is good. I've also dealt with oversupply off and on since he was born, so that could be adding to the issue. The little guy has had a total of three greenish diapers in eight months, which I've been told is normal, so it is really just the mucus and possible blood. As I am quickly learning however, the term "mucousy" is very subjective and so his diapers may not be that bad. I never thought I would have given stool so much thought!

I think that if you're that worried about getting harangued by the doc, it's probably time to look for a doc who is more respectful and knowledgeable. Your local LLL is always a good resource- they will know which pediatricians are breastfeeding-friendly and which ones not so much.

Seriously, small amounts of blood are freaky but they're not a health problem.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

This is something I'm stuggling with, too. Every now and then, my son will have a bright red speck or two. Naturally, as a new momma, it freaks me out. Our Ped says that I can try eliminating dairy, but it's most likely a benign something-with-a-long-name, and not to worry about it. I've read that allergies from mom's diet are actually pretty uncommon.
    I'm sure my little one's green poop is all about the oversupply, which is no fun, but as PP stated, not a problem in the grand scheme of things.
    I might have to put that quote up above my changing table (along with my list of people (drs mostly) that say green poop is okay/normal).
    @Mommal- How long did you battle with oversupply? I've tried block feeding, just doubling up on one breast, feeding off of one at a time, and it comes and goes. I know my LO has a cold right now, and has started drooling, so his poop is going to be a bit grosser, greener, and mucous-ier. I don't want to mess with my supply too much, as I know it'll even out at some point.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*meatcat View Post
    How long did you battle with oversupply? I've tried block feeding, just doubling up on one breast, feeding off of one at a time, and it comes and goes.
    By 3 weeks I knew I had major oversupply. I ended up block feeding from about 3 weeks until around 3 months, and continued to have intermittent bouts of oversupply until around 6 months. As you said, oversupply tends to come and go.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I think this is a good article to look over and/or bring to baby's doctor if allergies via breastmilk are suspected. It's from the Academy of Breastfeeding Medicine. http://www.bfmed.org/Media/Files/Pro...ish_120211.pdf

This is also an ongoing thread about bloody stools in the Allergies and Food Sensitivities section if you're pursuing the allergy route.

ETA: And this one is from Too Much Milk on trying to sort through OS/OALD vs. Allergy. It's not your exact situation but may be helpful to look through some of the suggestions to guide you on forming some of your own "next step" questions so we can try to answer some of them here.
    Last edited by @llli*aphimama; December 13th, 2012 at 11:32 AM.