Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Breastfeeding again after a 12 year gap, several questions

Default Breastfeeding again after a 12 year gap, several questions

Hi,
    I am a mom of an almost four-week-old son. I have two daughters, ages 12 and 14. I EBF both of them for nearly two years. I have an inverted left nipple and with all babies I started with a nipple shield until the baby's suck became strong enough to
    latch and nurse without the shield. Well I am wondering if he is latching correctly because I have a very painful experience when he latches on left side and even on right sometimes. I have tried many different ways to get him to latch on correctly, but I feel like well he is at least not using the nipple shield anymore, he ias gaining weight and having lots of diapers full, so i can just tolerate the pain. But I have this shooting pain in my breasts that happens even after a feeding or between feedings. My other babies had thrush at one point, but their tongues were coated white and his is not. So I don;t know if I am doing something wrong, if I should address that latch issue, or if there even is a latch issue! or if i have a thrush/yeast issue! I live on asmall island and there isn;t much support here, most moms I've noticed do not have the faith in their own bodies to make enough milk and end uf supplementing with formula, which is something I am NOT willing to do!

Help!

Default Re: Breastfeeding again after a 12 year gap, several questio

Welcome to the forum!

Shooting pain in between feedings is often one of two things: thrush or vasospasm. Both are strong possibilities. Thrush would match well with your history, because your older babies had it so perhaps there's a predisposition in your family or in you to have it. The classic white patches on the tongue are not always present; it's quite common for one member of the nursing pair to be asymptomatic though both are infected. Vasospasm would match well with the latch pain, since compression is a very common cause of vasospasms.

Have you noticed any changes in the skin of the nipple? Does it ever blanch (turn white) or perhaps blanch and then turn bluish-purple before returning to a normal color? Any cracking, blistering, or dry-looking, flaking, peeling skin? When the baby unlatches, what shape is the nipple? Symmetrical, like a pencil eraser, or asymmetrical/wedged/creased/ridged/shaped like a new lipstick?
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Hmmm well I have noticed the blanching whitish on the inverted nipple but not the change in colors you have mentioned & I have read about. I noticed it only a couple of times. The shape I have noticed more often and that is the new lipstick shape, or a point with a crease across the middle. At night I just lay down and fall back asleep so I am being lazy in not making him reattach when I know that he is latched on poorly. Today I have been really diligent about making him relatch when I know he is not latched on well. But I'm about to go to sleep so....probably won't be as picky! I have noticed overall body aches, hope it isn't related to the sore nipples. Who would I go see to find out if I have thrush? My OB; general MD; pediatrician?

Hi, mommal is answering your questions great but I just wanted to jump in because 'all over body aches' sent up a little red flag.

Mastitis is a breast infection and, when a mom has that, she feels like she has the flu. Fever, chills, and all over achyness. This may require treatment with antibiotics. It can be caused by several things but one issue would be not fantastic milk removal which could happen if latch is not great. More: http://www.llli.org/docs/00000000000...atcanyoudo.pdf

For thrush, you can talk to any of the above mentioned hcp’s. Do you have any sense of which one is most breastfeeding supportive and knowledgable? that is where I would start. Probably best to do a bit of your own research as well. Do you remember what you did before for thrush?

For thrush, I think this is a pretty good overview of thrush and some of the typically suggested treatments. http://www.nbci.ca/index.php?option=...tion&Itemid=17

This sounds like a latch issue at least somewhat to me. Of course an ouchy, ‘shallow’ latch could be happening along with thrush. The blanching alone is a pretty good sign of vasospasm is my understanding. Does applying warmth after nursing help, at all?

If you do not have a lactation consultant or a breastfeeding support group you can access locally, or even if you do, I suggest the book The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding (8th edition, 2010.) Lots has changed in how various breastfeeding problems are approached, in particular, latch and positioning, just in the last 4 or 5 years that I have been a LLL Leader and the 9 years since I had my oldest child. So having up to date info may be helpful to you.

Well the achyness has subsided, there is not an area of breast that is red or hot, so I'm not sure if it's mastitis. BUT the pain in my nipple when he nurses has become unbearable. I am giving him breast milk from bottles today as my nipples need a break. I can't stand the pain, it shoots through my whole breast when he latches on, during, and between feedings. I also have bright pink tips on my nipples like he has sucked off the skin! My nipple is also pointy or angled when he is done, but not so much the blanching. I have no idea what is going on, I am going to OB today for other symptom related to vaginal infection after birth and I am going to talk to him today. Formula is not am option however, so I'm not sure how much help he will be. I'm really bummed because I never had problems with breast feeding my other two children.

Did you get antibiotics during birth or afterward? The bright pink nipples makes me think it could possibly be thrush. It's possible for mom to have it with no symptoms in baby (and vice versa).
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

That REALLY sounds like thrush, mama. And angled nipples sounds like a latch problem. Have you had him checked for tongue tie?

ETA: is that vaginal infection you mentioned a yeast infection? Because that would increase the probability of thrush. Vaginal yeast increases the likelihood of yeast overgrowth in other places, like the breast.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"

or if you're taking antibiotics for a post-birth infection that increases the chances, too. and would explain why it's worse in you than in baby.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

Well the OB diagnosed it as a yeast infection, so you ladies were right on! I had bacterial vaginosis after birth and took a course of AB for that. He prescribed fluconazole for yeast infection and after take only one dose I was able to nurse him. He had breast milk from bottle all day then by dinner I could nurse him, and through the night thank God! As far as latching problem, I have really guided him with latching and for the most part, it looks good I just think he has a small mouth right now. His lips are everted and he is definitely swallowing, he has gained 3 lbs in 3 weeks, now is 9 lbs. He doesn't have tongue tie I can see under his tongue when he cries and he doesn't have that.

Thanks for all your replies, I am going to keep working on the latching issue. Hard at night when I just lay back down and side nurse to sleep, I get lazy and let him nurse however he likes

So glad that the Fluconazole has helped! I think you want to see your baby's pediatrician and make sure the baby gets treated for yeast, too. It's very common for one member of the nursing pair to be asymptomatic, but BOTH members should be treated. Otherwise you'll be very likley to pick up thrush from the baby after you are done with the Fluconazole.