Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Skinny Baby, Worried Mommy

Default Skinny Baby, Worried Mommy

Help,

My 3mo old has dropped to the 3% on the WHO charts for weight. I had the same issue 3 years ago with my first son. I am feeding on demand, taking fenugreek and doing breast compression at feeding. I want to supplement him until I get the issue sorted out. He is unhappy all the time and has stopped sleeping at night. Any suggestion on how to supplement and not mess up my supply? What should I feed him (I don't think I have enough time between nursing to get much of my own milk pumped). He HATES the bottle...how do I get him to take anything beside the breast?

Default Re: Skinny Baby, Worried Mommy

Hi mama. A drop in weight can be upsetting and our first instinct is to feed feed feed, but it may not be necessary. If your other child followed this pattern, it may well be that being thin, is a natural family trait (there are worst traits to have!) also keep in mind that a 3 percentile baby is exactly as healthy as a 97percentile baby, what you should determine is whether baby is getting enough from you. First, is baby meeting all milestones? Second, what is the diaper out put over 24 hours? 5-6 wet diapers and a few poopy diapers a week?
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

with Jenna. I just want to add that fussiness, frequent feedings, and not sleeping through the night are all completely normal at 3 months. There's often a big growth spurt at 3 months, and that usually coincides with much more frequent feeding. And at 3 months, many babies are beginning to teethe or pre-teethe, and they're also mastering new motor skills which can lead to more night-waking.

A couple more questions:
    - Any chance of pregnancy?
    - Are you using hormonal contraception of any kind?
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Thanks for the advice!

Some more info on me: not pregnant, not on any medication, I am very concerned about my Thyroid. I have many of the symptoms including a 12lb weight gain since birth, thin eyebrows, headaches, constipation. I have begged several front office staff around town to get me in for an appointment since I am worried this is impacting my milk supply. The first appointment I have is Jan 12th.

On my baby: He is growing each month (adding lbs vs losing them). He is gaining very slowly and this makes him look thin and show up as thin on the growth charts. Each month his % is going down (75%, 50%, 25%, 3%). I had supply issues early on and worked with a LC to improve the problem. He is pooping multiple times each day (3-5) and I am sure I must be changing another 3-5 diapers of just pee. When I do pump at night I am producing about 2-3 oz total. Other than weight, he seems great to me. He is smiling and working on rolling over.

I was thinking of feeding him 1-2 bottles each day after I nurse him. I am hoping this will put a bit of weight on him. I want to make sure this sounds like a good plan and get advice on how to do this. Formula freaks me out a bit. Are there natural alternatives? With the older child, I introduced food. He fell off the WHO chart at 4mo; I introduced high calorie foods early and he eventually caught up. 3 mo is too early for food with this baby. I really wanted to make it to 6mo+.

Thyroid problems are very common in postpartum moms. In fact, there's even a condition called postpartum thyroiditis which is fairly common- IIRC it affects about 5-10% of women and occurs at higher rates in certain subcategories of women, like those who have a history of thyroid disease or autoimmune conditions. Your midwife or obstetrician may be familiar with the condition and may be willing to order a test for you, so call them if you aren't getting a good response from the general practitioners in your area.

There's a very common phenomenon known as "catch-up/catch-down" growth that happens after birth. It's really common for a baby to follow one growth trajectory inside the womb, where mom has more control over growth, and a very different growth trajectory outside the womb, when the baby's genetics take over. The fact that both your babies have been on the small side at this point suggests that they could be genetically programmed to be on the small side.

Don't worry too much about the growth charts. They are just one tool for evaluating a baby. As Jenna said, there are healthy babies in all percentiles, and statistically speaking, there are just as many healthy babies in the 1st percentile as there are in the 99th, just as many in the 3rd as the 97th, just as many in the 25th as the 75th, etc. A happy, healthy baby who is working on major motor milestones at 3 months and is being nursed on demand- that sounds like a pretty healthy baby to me! I'm not sure I'd freak out about him.

If you need to supplement, using your own pumped milk is ideal. Second best choice is breastmilk from another mom- but this is hard to get! Third best choice is formula, and yes, I know it's freaky! But it is healthier for baby than any "natural" alternatives. It's designed to approximate breastmilk, with more or less the same balance of fat/carbohydrate/protein. There's nothing out there in the natural world that comes as close.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Agree, at this point I personally don't think there is a need to supplement. Your baby seems healthy. Fat babies don't equal healthy.
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language