Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Pumping and supply decreasing

Default Re: Pumping and supply decreasing

I agree, I think those extra sessions are going to help. You might want to give it a week or two of extra sessions and if you're still having to dip into the freezer stash, then consider the hospital-grade pump, maybe just short-term to get your supply back up (though it does seem annoying to have to pay $60 for the kit if you end up only using it for a month).

I think you do have to be somewhat of a fanatic to make EP'ing work! Haven't done it myself, but it seems like it takes true dedication.

I have to chime in here and say that the Symphony REALLY helped my output for pumping at work. I used it for 2 months and by the end I noticed an increase of almost an ounce per pumping session.

I own a PISA and now that I'm getting what I need, I have returned the Symphony and I'm back using the PISA, but the minute I notice a decrease in my supply, I will rent the Symphony again, no doubt about it.

Adding in additional pumping sessions with your PISA should also do the job, I would think, especially now that you know you have a new one that you know is working as it should. For me, it seemed like the Symphony just helped me increase my supply with the same amount of pumping--more milk in less time. It's just that much more powerful. But more pumping should also work. Good luck!

ETA: the kit for the Symphony uses all the same parts as the PISA. I believe still have to pay for the whole kit because it also includes the Symphony-specific tubes and diaphragms, BUT, the upshot is that after you return the Symphony, you wind up with a spare set of parts for your PISA. It's not worth the $60 pricetag on the kit, but it's something to consider! You might also be able to buy just the tubes and diaphragms separately directly from Medela for less money since you already have the other parts. I'm not sure.
    Last edited by @llli*sprocket; December 5th, 2012 at 10:54 AM.

I was actually thinking of you sprocket when I said that some mamas swear by their Symphony pumps!

Ha! I thought maybe that was the case. I love that thing. Well, as much as you can love a breast pump

Oh, I definitely feel like I have a personal relationship with my pump! She goes everywhere with me.

I'm also an EPer. At this age, babies get a bit more active. Are you staying hydrated? I noticed a bit of a drop and it was partially due to water intake. I'm trying to make sure I drink enough now. It helps. Also, I get lazy and forget to do hand compressions. They make a huge difference.

Any chance you're hypersensitive to herbs affecting lactation? Sage and mint will cause a drop in my supply even at sub-therapeutic levels. So I saw a drop after eating several large plates of wild rice dressing seasoned with sage over Thanksgiving weekend. Ditto for eating lots of sage-seasoned breakfast sausage.

And yeah, I'm sure some of it is hormonal. My cycles returned near my daughter's due date. She's nearly 9mo actual, 6mo adjusted. I have a dip in supply from around ovulation which lasts until my period is on day two or so. Cal-mag supplements can help with that, but they can be rough on the gut.

I replace my membranes on my PISA every month. I have abundant supply, but seeing drops in my totals still worries me since i need to provide for girlie for quite a bit longer. Still hoping she'll get over her feeding issues, but she has her own ideas about that.

I know that Hygeia rentals are less expensive locally than Symphony rentals. Maybe you can call around to local medical centers or IBCLCs to ask about other rentals.
    Mum to DS (04/07)
    EPing for former 28 weeker (03/12)

Hey! Just re-read your responses and here is a quick update. I have increased my sessions per day.... so far I'm getting seven in a day and I aim for eight when I can. I'm a SAHM, but I have my four year old and eight month old at home and sometimes the day gets away from me!!! BUT, I am really trying. I have seen a slight increase so far in my output, but nothing major yet. I have had to pull two or three bags out in the last week, but not almost one a day as I had been for a couple weeks there. I did get new shields in a smaller size, but they only HURT and made me sore.... so I think the size I've been using is fine. I also replaced my tubing and everything.... nothing changed much, but better safe than sorry.

I know in the past, my supply could drop or raise quickly (I had an over abundant supply). If I saw anything changing in output... I could adjust my pumping and quickly see results. It's been about 5 or 6 days now with my increased sessions.... and it hasn't changed too drastically... but I'm hoping it will continue to improve.....

Thanks for your help! It's always great to hear advice and also any encouraging stories!!!

It sounds like things ARE improving - you've gone from having to dip into your stash daily to every other day or less. I feel like it's not uncommon for supply to be bit less responsive at the eight month mark, as opposed to earlier. I don't know, maybe give it another week and then consider the hospital-grade pump? It really does sound like things are moving in the right direction!

Hey! Here's a quick update and I have a question too! I have been pumping usually seven times per day. Every now and then I might only get six in (if it's an extra busy day or I have to be out of the house on errands, etc extra long that day. I have managed to get some days at eight times a day, but that has only been a few times so far. I think my milk has increased some... but since some days are only 6 pumpings... I'm pulling one bag out of the freezer every three days or so. Otherwise I'm able to stay right ahead of my daughter the other days. No matter what.... she has never gotten formula. I still have plenty in my freezer stash too.

But.... without any symptoms.... I started my PERIOD last night!! I cannot believe it. I was hoping it would "stay away" since I'm still EPing, but out of the blue... here it is. I'm so mad and frustrated!! Also, I haven't been on birth control. I hate the pill and after my first child... I got the Mirena and after a few issues with it, had it taken out and went back to the pill. I was hoping to do something different this time (rather than the pill or IUD). Are most of ya'll on the pill while nursing? I was wondering what contraceptives you guys use the most?

Should I expect my period it to interfere with my supply at all?? What was your experiences with starting your period while nursing/pumping???

Let me know if you guys get a spare minute. Thanks!

Unfortunately nursing isn't a guarantee you won't get your period. Exclusive nursing makes it more likely to hold it off a bit longer, but pumping doesn't seem to have the same effect. As for effects on your supply, there may be a brief dip, two or three days in the beginning of your period, but it won't last. When I was pumping I'd eat oatmeal on those mornings and it would get me a little extra.

I preferred not to use hormonal birth control while I was nursing. I stuck with condoms and tracking my fertility.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous