Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Pumping and supply decreasing

Default Re: Pumping and supply decreasing

Thanks for the update, I was thinking about you yesterday and wondering how things were going. Glad to hear things are better with your supply!

I know what you mean about being annoyed with getting your period back... I've also gotten mine back each time at < 7 months (3 months with my second, what was that about?). Maybe because I pump during the day at work, I don't know. I always thought it was wrong that I should have to carry pads in my pumping bag! But what can you do? That said, my experience was that I didn't have my period monthly when my baby was under a year. So you might not have another one for a couple of months. But again, that's variable. And yes, you definitely need to use birth control if you don't want to get pregnant at this time. And if you haven't been using birth control up to now, you might want to do a pregnancy test in a couple weeks, because you may have ovulated some time in the past couple weeks. I hate the pill also, haven't been on it in over ten years now. If you don't want anything hormonal or an IUD, I think condoms/fertility tracking makes the most sense.

I have sometimes seen a supply drop with my period (sometimes a dramatic supply drop - like all of a sudden getting half of what I usually get with pumping) but it usually only lasts a couple days, and some months I see no supply drop. Some moms find a calcium/magnesium supplement helps.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*canne View Post
    Are most of ya'll on the pill while nursing? I was wondering what contraceptives you guys use the most?
    I don't use hormonal contraception. I don't want to risk my supply. We use condoms (polyisoprene), though DH just got snipped, so we'll likely ditch those once he has the all-clear. Or we may still use them from time to time. They do simplify clean-up.
    Mum to DS (04/07)
    EPing for former 28 weeker (03/12)

Hey guys... here's a quick update! Things have gotten a little rocky again. I had my period a second time finally in February.... which came about 2-3 weeks late. I'm still pumping seven times a day. It seems almost impossible to get in eight pumpings a day with two kids at home all day with me. I'm also taking Motherlove More Milk Special Blend, and have been for about a week now. My supply is struggling!! I'm taking out a bag of milk about every two days now. My daughter also seems to be eating more lately. She is almost 11 months old now. I really wanted to meet my goal of EPing and EBM for the first year.... but I'm so worried I will not meet the goal. My freezer stash is now all the way down to 19 bags (keep in mind a few months ago I had over 60 bags!!!). I will keep pumping no matter what.... but I really was hoping my supply would be good enough to keep on pumping past one year and continue to give breastmilk during the transition to cows milk.

I'm so frustrated and have no idea what to do at this point. I should be thankful for any milk.... I know that.... but I cannot believe how I've struggled these past 2-3 months. At one time my supply was overabundant... and now it's like I'm just doing my best to keep up with her.

Also... she has finally started showing real interest in solids... for about the past month. We're trying the BLS, but she will not eat ANYTHING on her own!!! Some things she'll slightly taste and then throw down. She will play with some things like beans and then finally throw those down too. The only solids she will eat are pureed foods that I give her by spoon. Is this pretty typical? I didn't force solids on her from the beginning. I tried around 7 or 8 months, but she showed NO interest and I didn't mind because I knew she really only needed breastmilk. Now that she is showing an interest.... I was really hoping the BLS would take off and she'd like it. Maybe this is a question I need to post in the "solids" section...

Let me know if you guys have any input on the milk supply or solids. Thanks so much for your comments thus far!!!! Hope you all are doing well.

Babies are really variable when it comes to solids. Some go for solids with gusto from the get-go, others are really reluctant into well into the second year. I think you just have to let them lead the way, offer different foods as you are doing, and when they are ready they will eat. If you want to do BLS then I don't think you "need" to offer pureed foods by spoon. Remember that up until a year, solids are for the experience - taste, textures, motor skills. Starting at a year, solids GRADUALLY start playing a bigger role in caloric intake until LO gets to the point of eating three meals per day plus snacks. But that doesn't happen overnight and many toddlers won't get there for many months, so don't feel like she has to be at that point at a year!

As for your supply - well, I would say that you are so close!! Really just a few more weeks. So just try to pump as much as you can in the coming weeks. If you're taking out a bag every other day and you have 19 bags left, that will take you to 38 days which will be just about a year! I really think you can make it. You've made it this long which is fantastic! Also, remember that stress is not good for pumping. So rather than worrying about whether you'll make it to a year, tell yourself what a huge gift you've given your daughter and are continuing to give her. I'm 99% sure you are going to make it to a year but if you give her a bottle or two of formula before that point that doesn't outweigh the thousands of feedings of breastmilk that she's gotten. (Also, personally, if she is just shy of a year and you are short a couple bottles of EBM, I think it's fine to do cow's milk at that point - she'll still be getting mostly breastmilk.) Hang in there!